Does somebody make this receptacle?

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by BruceMellen, Aug 7, 2011.

1. BruceMellen

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I've been looking for a PCB-mount SATA power (15 conductor) receptacle, or are the ones made all 22 position power/data combo receptacles? I just want 3.3V, 5V, and 12V power to my PCB from a standard desktop computer PSU's SATA plug. Prefer right angle bottom mount, but have yet to find any that just have the power pins. I'd prefer not to waste the board space on the data side.

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    cut off the pins you dont want?

3. BruceMellen

Jun 25, 2011
    Cutting off the data end of the header would severely affect this type of header's structural integrity, considering normal SATA power cable stresses.

Has anyone seen what I'm looking for?; I wouldn't think my need is unique.

4. hectorh

Aug 19, 2011
  5. BruceMellen

Jun 25, 2011
  6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Good luck.. just waste the board space.. I can't find it through my channels..

7. suds

Apr 28, 2009
    Will Sata to Open Ended cable will to ?

see image, you can remove one end plug and solder to PCB.

8. BruceMellen

Jun 25, 2011
    The female SATA power connector you are showing is what needs to plug into the male receptacle I'm looking for, and the adapter you are showing will not supply the 3.3V that comes from standard PSU female SATA connectors, just the 5V & 12V. Note that standard PSU SATA power cables have 5 conductors (3.3V, 5V, 12V, & two Grounds), not 4 as in the molex adapters shown.

If you look at a relatively current SATA disk/optical drive, you should see a male SATA power blade & data blade receptacle combo. I want to do the same for my board, but without the 7 conductor data blade/side of the receptacle that would take up precious PCB edge space.

I've found three manufacturers of the part I'm lookjing for in Taiwan & China, but my emails have resulted in responses of... the part is not available in north america, or we have a minimum order of 3,000 or 10,000, or no response. Digikey & Mouser said they do not have the parts available:(.