Does Reversed Chip Socket Matter?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by noob_for_life, May 14, 2011.

1. noob_for_life

Thread Starter New Member

May 14, 2011
    Beginner question here: I just realized that I soldered a chip socket onto a circuit board backwards. Does that matter? I figure if I put the chip with the correct orientation as shown on the circuit board, all should be OK.

Am I right or should I be enjoying a pleasant evening of desoldering?

Thanks!

2. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    It will be alright as long as you don't tell anyone. ;)

3. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    Just so you didn't solder it in upside down.

4. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Welcome to AAC.

As long as u remember that u have the socket upside down when u need to replace the chip it will be fine.
    Remember to double check the power traces when u place the chip the right way or you will fry the chip.

5. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Take one of those extra fine Sharpie markers and clearly label where pin 1 is + anything else you want to add.

6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Or use a soldering iron to melt a very obvious notch in the other end of the socket...

Not saying I have ever made that same mistake! ;)

7. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    If you use a ten-dollars solder-sucker (the kind with a piston) then unsoldering a 14 pins socket takes about 28 seconds, not an entire evening.

8. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm with Audioguru -- one day you may have to replace that chip and you're going to forget the orientation is backwards. The time you lose figuring things out is going to be much more than the time it takes to solder it in properly.

If you don't have a solder sucker, you can also use unsoldering braid. I use both, but my solder sucker sees more use.