Does anybody read the notices?

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I've just seen yet another thread opened (and promptly closed) because it was on an explicitly Automotive topic. As is often the case, it was from a first-time poster. Perhaps it did not help that his user name is the model designation of a motorcycle!

What surprises me is that they don't seek to be anything but explicit about what they are asking. In some cases like this one (deciding whether a DC wire was live, without breaking the insulation) the problem might be addressed without being so specific. I hasten to add that I am not trying to encourage such deviousness, just expressing my surprise.

Possibly we might applaud their honesty, but it seems more likely to me that they are simply failing to notice the restrictions, or deliberately not reading notices when they register. Could anything be done about that ?

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
Maybe the Terms Of Service should be presented to new members before they register and they have to tick a box saying they've read and understood them. Then if they post something they shouldn't we could throw rotten fruit at them.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I'm sure a simple php script could be created that if posts contained a keyword a mild electric shock is delivered to the user.
That would be awesome.

Maybe the Terms Of Service should be presented to new members before they register and they have to tick a box saying they've read and understood them. Then if they post something they shouldn't we could throw rotten fruit at them.
If they don't read it now, they won't read it then.
I've clicked thousands of those and never glanced at what's inside.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Most people don't read the instruction manual, until something goes wrong...

I think part of it, is that these days, automotive, is an Electronics field, as well as Computer Science. It's not a great place for amateurs to tinker around, but who has the money to take it to a professional these days.

There are forums for most any car, so no real need to bring it here. Just think maybe they go to the other sites for help on mechanical stuff, but the electronics is probably beyond the scope of the average car forum, so they come here.

I do my own repairs, home, car, computer, electronics, but it gets harder to deal with every time I get a newer car. Got a 2000 Grand Prix, which fortunately is running well, even tells me when to change the oil. Will probably take it to a shop for a tune-up, as I haven't a clue, beyond the spark plugs, what else might need be done, or where to find it.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
Possibly if the notices had something sensible to say people might read them and even comply, but as they stand the banned subjects are both too specific and too restrictive seemingly giving the moderators no chance to make a value judgement on a case by case basic.
While we have a situation where a thread gets locked for the mere mention of the word car even though no safety or legal issues were involved while another thread asking for help with an illegal transmitter is open and running with no sign of being shut down people are going to wonder about the relevance of the forum rules.
Instead of the 101 commandments we have now how about just 3 simple rules that the moderators can apply on a case by case basis and hopefully with a modicum of common sense.
No posts on pseudo-science.
No posts on dangerous projects or practices.
No posts on illegal projects or practices.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
One big thing Im so sad about AAC is that they dont discuss unisolated power supplies at all. I dont understand at all why they have blocked this as 90% of small devices manufactured today (less than say 200mA) use the capacitor based dropping systems for so much efficient driving. Its so very cost effective. But none here helps on that. All they insist is to use a bulky transformer. If I wanna light up 3 leds inside around 10 of the fancy lights in my home, I cant go around using transformers which cost 10 times what my led's cost me in all those 10 different lights and I dont have space to keep them inside these lights. I cant say its a 'rule' here. Its like depriving learning minds from the technology which is to drive systems from now on. Its just pointless to use transformers for such very light applications now. Instead of saying dont do, everyone could just suggest ways of doing things safe, like using a bleeder across the cap, check the system power consumption and then calculate how to run it, use a good mcb when testing and dont touch it when its live. Im no expert in this, but thats all what I know cos none is willing to let me know the rest. Instead members here say 'we dont discuss it because its not safe'. Very bad. Ive made stuffs which people say dont do it, yet I continued as long as I found it was safe enough. And in the end, the same people say its cool. Such things have never caused me any trouble. somebody who needs to learn something so desperately, never stops where anybody else tries to stop him. He just looks for new sources. THis isnt my criticism, just my feelings on being left behind :( . Apart from this, I love this forum :)