Does AAC owner envisage a termination date?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by t_n_k, Apr 29, 2013.

1. t_n_k

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Imagine how we would feel if the owner of AAC decided to shut it down.:cool:

ozzie_fred likes this.
  2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Gasp!

I think we could set up a new one fairly fast, but the treasure of knowledge would be gone.

I think it's a good idea if everyone has contact information of at least one other person from AAC.

t_n_k likes this.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Somehow I feel safe. If money was ever an issue, which it is not, then I suspect this site could support itself pretty easily. Lord knows there are enough archives from copy cats.

t_n_k likes this.
  4. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I think they'd pass it off to another person before that happened, but if it did, I would be one of the first offering to buy the domain so as to get the site back up as fast as possible.

t_n_k and DerStrom8 like this.
  5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I'd pitch in as well. I don't know how much the hosting costs to keep the site running with adequate bandwidth are, or how much other software/services are being used (cloud backup, you name it) and all of that could get pretty spendy. But as long as the owners (which, at some point eventually, might be the heirs) are willing to work with us we can probably keep it alive, though possibly with advertising support to make ends meet).

Probably the biggest problem would occur if something happens to the owner (owners?) and no one here knows how to even contact the next of kin, who may not even know that this site exists and don't care one way or the other if it dies when they stop paying the renewal fees.

Do at least some of the mods have the necessary contact info to deal with that possibility?

t_n_k likes this.
  6. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I don't, apart from a mail address.

7. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    This forum is getting new members every day ,It is moderated with a group of

very good moderators. Why would someone change things,there has to be some

type of business arrangements behind the scene. This is the first time there has

been any question. There must be some members that has some knowledge of

what makes a forum work. Our moderators know what controls they have. I guess

we should ask one the moderators the long term method to stay in touch,a single

e-mail address to give your information. Bill has been out front for a long time,he

may want to assure us. We may hear from some one else.

t_n_k likes this.
  8. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Dave had this site a number of years and I'm pretty sure if he decided to terminate his activity in it, there would be plenty of offers to buy the domain name from him. JRAP, the lead in the programming area, would be a valuable resource to bridge the transfer of the site from Dave to whomever.

I think Dave's brainstorm, AAC, has matured enough that with the aid of the crack staff of volunteer moderators, is low maintenance from Dave's prospective.

I think if Dave ever wanted to get rid of the site, it would be announced, and some would gladly step up to effect a smooth transfer.

Remember, there is no PPC advertising on these threads, a welcome site, in my opinion.

t_n_k likes this.
  9. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I'm not concerned about Dave deciding that he wants out. As you say, I would expect that to culminate in a smooth transition to someone else. I'm more worried about Dave getting hit by a truck. I imagine that planning for AAC's continued existence in that circumstance is pretty far down on Dave's list of priorities (as it should be).

10. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    There are various pirate groups that goto forums and databases and regularly preform SiteRips. This will give you all data thats on the site on your HD. Then they just put it into a torrent and release it. No bandwidth, no charges, and the info spreads for free. Then if someone was inclined they could wait a lil bit and set it back up with adds.

11. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    While this is nice to think about I just can't help but point out how much AAC has changed since Beentheres passing. Its like a tale of two cities.

12. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    To be honest, I started using the site frequently only after beenthere started having problems with his health and was absent most of the time. We had minimal contact.

If it's okay, I 'd like to hear some comparison between his moderating style and mine and Bill's. If you don't want to do it in public, PMs are welcome too.

13. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I think you are an excellent Moderator,not taking any thing away from the other

Moderators. You ask for opinion,I will give you mine. I think you are the right age

to carry this Forum as needed, You have created new new post,like the where you

live.You are tolerant,but you take no nonsence. You communicate well with the

members ,you have your style. Remember never ask how you are doing,One

Chance may tell you...she knew Benethere than anyone. Keep up the good

things you are doing for the Forum. The other Moderators may know the rule

never ask how you are doing,I knew a guy that ask his boss...how am I doing

Well since you ask..I didn't want to tell you..but since you ask I'm going to

have to let you go. Loosewire wm,pm

DerStrom8 likes this.
  14. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Thanks loosewire.

It was more of an effort to learn about how beenthere behaved in the forum. He is worshiped, in a sense, but I know next to nothing about him.

You know I like feedback, but I don't promise I 'll use it. ;)

15. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Be yourself that what counts, you are doing a great job...you don't have to compare

your style to others.

16. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    loosewire give sound advice
    when loosewire speak me listen

loosewire likes this.
  17. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Beenthere was ruthless on certain topics. His work remains a sticky in these forums.

Bill and Georacer are not Beenthere. They both have their own styles as does everyone else on these forums. They, like everyone else, have their forte'.

I don't think it's a "tale of two cities".

18. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    I do, I feel as though AAC went from a dictatorship, to a mini-democracy. A lot of the stuff I see going on Beenthere would of deleted a lot of the posts and enforced many more bans for stuff. For instance there were no warnings for bashing another member or "Berating" another member, do it once and your suspended a week. Twice 2 weeks, etc..Another thing was when two members would get into a fight both were suspended a week if they crossed the line. Now it seems as though senoirity is a big deal and if 2 members fight the mods will read it then side up with someone. I'm not refering to any perticular person or post but just the changes I feel I've seen.

19. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    In many ways BeenThere had similar problems to the trolling we had not too long ago, people kept using this site to try to promote pseudo science, especially over unity. It helped he was one smart cookie. He figured out how to handle these guys after a while, and it works still.

I never bumped heads with him over that issue. Did some reporting though.

20. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Many of those were bots and people trying to work a scam, once the IP's are blocked shouldn't be hard to keep em out. I referring to actual member to actual member. For instance I got a 1 week ban for joking about the waste system of another country. This guy from india or packistan was stalking me and being rude and I struck back with a comment about his countries infrastructure sucking and not having plumbing, meanwhile becoming an IT superpower.. I imagine he got a 1 week ban too. Now consider I got a 1 week ban for that. Then I think of some of the comments I've heard here lately and someof the fighting between members went way further then what me and the other guy got into.