Does a Voltage Regulator Draw Power at Rest?

Dan-O

Joined Jul 26, 2009
I'll try to explain what I'm doing:
I was using a 556 as a flip flop for a single button push button start for my car.
The original design works but in the interest of having way fewer parts and because I'm a glutton for punishment, I found an EDE2208 which is a momentary-to-toggle IC. It seems like a perfect solution and even has switch debounce built in.
Only one issue, and it actually might not be an issue: Because this is in a car I need to keep my at rest parasitic current draw to a minimum.
I was planning on using a 5V + regulator powered all the time, but that's where my issue or concern is. Will a 5V voltage regulator draw an excessive amount of current if the 2208 is inactive or not powering/controlling a transistor?
While I'm on the subject, could anyone recommend a good all purpose 5V + regulator? I was thinking a 78L05 would work, but the spec sheet is listing it maximum quiescent current as 5mA, it would be great if I could get it down more.

I'm only going to be using 1 set of contacts, so I won't be over-working the regulator too much, right?
Thanks for the input,
Dan

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A voltage regulator will always draw some power. It is, after all, a circuit. But if there is no load it should draw very little.

An LM317, a variable voltage regulator, draws around 10ma if there is no load.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yep, and whatever you use is going to draw something, be it a zener circuit or a 7805. The circuitry inside the 7805 needs some power just to maintain the voltage. I picked the LM317 because I knew its standby current, I'm not so sure about the 7805. I would guess a couple of ma.

Dan-O

Joined Jul 26, 2009
The spec sheet lists quiescent current at 5mA.
I can live with it, but I wish I could find lower.
I was also thinking about powering my module through the battery saver section of my body module.
The body module shuts down the OEM power relay after about 14 minutes. I just need to see if the power relay stays active during cranking.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I wouldn't be too surprised to find out the new generation low voltage drop chips draw even less. I'm not sure, but I think they use CMOS circuitry.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Google "low quiescent current voltage regulator". You can get 5V regulators with quiescent current on the order of a few microamps.