Do you think...? "electrolysis rocket"

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
a model rocket that can be equipped with a light electrolysis engine that produces enough hydrogen and oxygen to fly the damn thing?

:)

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Why don't you produce the hydrogen down the earth and store it in a tank on the rocket? This is a bit dangerous because hydrogen explodes but more easy to do. I have read one time about hydrogen fuel which is solid and without the danger of explosion like the gas one. Make a search in google.

redacejr

Joined Apr 22, 2008
no i mean an engine that fits inside the engine... like a smaller cylinder-like thing that contains h2o+nacl ... with a spiral fashion cathode and an inverse spiral anode to produce a large ammount of hydrogen and oxygen .... and all the gass exits through a small nozzle to create a jet of hydrogen where it mixes with oxygen from the same system in the combustion chamber and so explodes like a jet... with like 130hz like in jet engines

and voila...

a rocket is obtained

now my question is

can this system be made light enough so that the engine is powerful enough to lift off

the system would be 100g max including the water

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
100 grams? Even Estes solid fuel engines are that heavy. I doubt if you could get enough mass flow to lift a rocket, considering how much dead weight there would be in tankage and piping.

You might find a larger unit could work. A period of experimentation might be called for.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Find how to calculate the thrust the fuel will give you and make your calculations about the weight and the quantity of fuel.