do you like what you are doing

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Has anyone here had their company come out and say that you workers get a 1.2% bonus. And we really thank you.........

However management has their best bonus ever?

Just wondering.

I don't get butt hurt over much....
I'm currently a contractor for the Army, and they pay me very well. I'm in a union, but I'm not really a union guy....and if folks do treat you well you don't need them. I work with a good bunch of folks, and we get generous leave and pretty decent benefits.

eric

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
o add more misery, the transit industry relies on federal funding for capital improvements such as transit vehicles, but the funding cannot be used for operation and maintenance. Consequently, my agency would buy a lot of expensive stuff that they could not afford to properly maintain.
Sounds like a few of our state road departments since the oil industry came here.

A number of years ago I did some truck driving for a company and right next door to to our main parking lot was the local county yard.

The #1 problem the oil field had in that area was poorly maintained dirt roads due to lack of adequate maintainer work to keep them leveled out. What made that interesting/stupid was that right next door to us in the county yard was 6 big new maintainer blade rigs ($300K + each) all set up to go to work but zero budget for paying anyone enough to run one. :rolleyes:

Personally if I was in charge of the budget I would have bought four and used the rest of the money to hire the four extra guys that they needed to operate them being four out on the roads every day does a lot more service work that 6 sitting in the yard without operators. :oops:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Personally if I was in charge of the budget I would have bought four and used the rest of the money to hire the four extra guys that they needed to operate them being four out on the roads every day does a lot more service work that 6 sitting in the yard without operators. :oops:
Unfortunately, in the budget world run by MBA's, you can't substitute capital for salary or contracted expense. In my first job, I had the responsibility of meeting a total "expected" expense (we were 501c3, i.e., non-profit, tax exempt). I could balance the two. It was not until I was 47 years old that I learned that each dollar of cost that was somehow earmarked for capital could not be swapped for ordinary expenses in another 501C3. Explain that! Only MBA's seem to understand it, but it is below them to explain it.

John