Do you like this snow we been having?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by count_volta, Feb 16, 2010.

1. count_volta

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Hey, the Count is writing to you from his sick bed. I have a flu. Had severe fever last night. And why? All because in order to park my car near my university I have to step into 3 feet of snow, and even in snow boots, have my shoes filled with snow, and go to class like that all day.

This snow we been having is totally nuts. I mean I'm from Russia and even I think this is ridiculous. Personally I can't wait for the spring flowers to start blooming. A little snow is nice, but to drown in snow? Come on...

Do you feel the same way?

Share your experiences and show pictures of cars engulfed with snow. Here is mine.

[​IMG]

This is as far as I could get my car into the driveway. After 1.5 days of shoveling, I managed to dig a trench the size of my car, and that is the way it is to this day. Its pretty for a while, but after a while you learn to despise it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Until you have been out on a 25 below zero morning changing the starter on a Dodge 383, laying on a sheet of cardboard, you haven't really appreciated cold or snow.

Our road almost drifted over with only about 1/4" falling here.

3. count_volta

Feb 4, 2009
    Wow 25 below? Where was this, Alaska?

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    I have 117.3 hours on the clock at work for last week. From Sat to Fri. I am on the snow removal team at my work, so I don't leave until the snow is gone. I abhor blizzards. I have made and therefore spent enough money to keep electronics distributors from needing stimulus funds. But jeez. And the weight of this snow. We weighed a shovelful of this storms snow at 26 lbs. After we weighed it I started counting my shovelfuls, got to 430 then gave up. Went in for hot chocolate then forgot to start again. It is so discouraging to clear a walkway just to turn around to see its time to do it again.

Ugg.

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Nope, Missouri. Hasn't been that cold in almost 30 years.

6. VoodooMojo

Nov 28, 2009
    this was the calm after the 30 before the next 18...
    there are a couple jeep cherokees in there.

7. 3ldon

Jan 9, 2010
    6 inches of snow shut down most of eastern North Carolina for 2 days over the weekend.
    Granted it was a holiday but still...

8. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Looks like quite normal winter there I come from

9. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    They want all that snow to change the path of hurricanes,
    in gulf of Mexico.Remember Bills project.

10. VoodooMojo

Nov 28, 2009
    I know!
    That's what makes this the kicker.
    Baltimore/DC rarely gets much more than a foot or so each winter.
    Every so often we get nailed and this is certainly the year.

I love it to a point. I grew up in the snow belt (Wisconsin and Illinois) and winter was a beloved event. Ice fishing, snowmobiling, bumper and innertube riding, hunting, shoveling snow, scraping ice, getting frostbite, skidding on the ice and having car collisions, falling through the ice and going into hypothermia, responding to calls because space heaters started homes on fire.........
    and the occasional freezing of the fingers putting starter motors on dead ass Dodges while laying on a piece of cardboard in the damn snow....Beenthere, I been there! :() On those events, you always wonder why they got rid of hand cranks. I wonder what it would take to hand crank a 383 or 440?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I didn't like driving in it, but it was fun watching all the kids sculpt. On guy took his recycle box issued by the city and used it make big bricks for a decent igloo. The snow is mostly gone, but all the snowmen, igloos, dogs, armchairs, and whatnot are still here, getting smaller every day.

For Dallas this really was a once in a lifetime event. Wonder if it will repeat?

12. count_volta

Feb 4, 2009
    I am probably going to open pandora's box here by asking this, but here goes.......

Many people here pride themselves on knowledge of science. So, does this snow in places like texas, crazy amounts of snow in the northeast, cold temperatures, do all these things mean that global warming is nonsense, or does it in fact, (in some insane manner) prove that there is global warming. If so, how?

What do you guys think? Please keep it clean. ;)

And remember, when you bring politics into it, it stops being true unbiased science.

13. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Unusual events happen infrequently. That proves no pattern.

John

14. jrap

Administrator

Jun 25, 2006
    I like the snow when it's on a mountain, and I'm strapped to a snowboard :) Other then that I could live without it. Fortunately, we've had a very mild winter here in Toronto. Barely any snow actually.

15. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Maaan!! I luv Snow :D
    But...I never had the pleasure of feeling it or seeing 'em though.
    And it is hot as hell in here. All sun and well !!! more sun. :mad:
    PS.. who wants to trade my life :p

Rifaa

16. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    One explanation offered so far, more evaporation means the extra water has to go somewhere. If so, there will be more.

17. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Locally (South Dakota), they are saying the runoff from the snow will get the level of the Oahe Dam about halfway back to normal. It has run between 20 and 50 feet low for the past decade due to mild winters. The dams on the Missouri river provide most of the electricity in the region, so when they run dry, it's a bad thing.

The bright side is you don't need to buy new fishing tackle, as in summertime, you can walk out to where you lost a lure when you were a kid, and pull it out of the log that used to be in 35 feet of water.

18. count_volta

Feb 4, 2009
    Well here in Pittsburgh, the Ohio river is actually pretty shallow so we have a couple of dams to raise the level. So all you need to do is adjust the dams for the extra water, and there is balance. No flooding.

But that is an issue. What happens when the snow begins to melt? One guy I met today said, he will buy a boat just for when that happens. Personally I don't care, I live at the top of a steep hill. :D

19. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    We lived close to the top of a hill back in '93 when the Missouri flooded. We didn't get wet, but the only road was under 4' of water. It was interesting.

20. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    U know in the latest tsunami incident, we had a huge wave around 7 to 10 feet.
    Boy it was fun....

Rifaa