Do you know what this is?

DarinC

Joined Dec 31, 2015
8leadceramiccap.jpg It looks like a ceramic cap but it has 8 leads. Found in an old box of parts from an electronic instrument repair shop.

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
It is some form of hybrid integrated circuit. Even if it has a part number on it there is very little chance of finding what it's function is.

Les.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As @LesJones said, it is some kind hybrid integrated circuit.
On the backside you will probably see some bumps.
The technique used could be thick film technique.

Bertus

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Like my brothers before me, I'm not sure either. However, it appears to be polarized. The fact that it can be inserted into a circuit board only one way suggests a common pin. Probably a power pin as well, but that's not certain.

As Max said, it could be some kind of RC circuit. Using a meter will yield little information but a capacitor will appear to have low resistance but building up and up until the cap becomes completely charged. A resistor shouldn't change value.

Do you know any of the circuitry it came out of? Was it from an older type radio, one with a tuner?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Was it from an older type radio, one with a tuner?
No, the OP said, IN THE FIRST POST, that it came out of A BOX OF PARTS FROM AN ELECTRONICS INSTRUMENT REPAIR SHOP!

Why do people only read the question in the titles and not the background info in Post 1?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Why do people only read the question in the titles and not the background info in Post 1?
Short term memory loss I guess. Yes, I did read it. But I got more caught up in what it might be and in figuring a way to determine what it might be.

My bad. Sorry. But there might have been a chance the OP might have known what it came out of.

I have a box of junk too. Some stuff I still remember what I pulled it out of.

Again, my apologies for forgetting the comment(s). No need to go on the war-path.

View attachment 118717 It looks like a ceramic cap but it has 8 leads. Found in an old box of parts from an electronic instrument repair shop.
As noted by other contributors, the imaged device is what amounts to a 'very small scale' integrated circuit (actually, a small, 'potted' PCB) of, it appears, the 'Sprague 'Bulplate' line (or similar) -- I have, in the course of my avocational pursuit of 'vintage' electronic gear restoration, 'collected' considerable data on such items -- Please post the device number, etc.. (or, better yet, a 'close-up' of the device clearly showing such marks) - I may be able to provide you with a schematic and application description...

Very best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
As noted by other contributors, the imaged device is what amounts to a 'vary small scale' integrated circuit (actually, a small, 'potted' PCB) of, it appears, the 'Sprague 'Bulplate' line (or similar) -- I have, in the course of my avocational pursuit of 'vintage' electronic gear restoration, 'collected' considerable data on such items -- Please post the device number, etc.. (or, better yet, a 'close-up' of the device clearly showing such marks) - I may be able to provide you with a schematic and application description...

Very best regards
He already posted high res photo. Click on it to enlarge (post #1)

He already posted high res photo. Click on it to enlarge (post #1)
Thanks @GopherT !:)

@DarinC

Re: Sprague 650858

While I apologize that my data contains no direct 'hit' for that number -- I can tell you that it is 'consistent' with old crosses to the Sprague DP-n series (To wit: 'detector pentode' coupling networks) -- Be advised, however, that 'functional outliers' can and do exist! -- So... No guarantees!!!:eek::oops:

As a point of (possible) interest only -- I have attached an image containing schematics of two 9-pin devices having said function (below) --- I will attempt to locate info specific to your device later today (Monday)

Again! Your device may vary - wildly!

SPG_DPx.JPG

Best regards

Last edited:
--ADDENDUM--

Re: the schematics shown in post No. 12 -- Although the circuits and pin-outs are identical - the physical dimensions vary (slightly) -- I don't 'get it' either:confused: -- Welcome to the world of yesterday!:D

Very best regards
HP

Thanks for the help everyone. Curiosity satisfied.
Good deal!:cool: -- For the benefit of anyone needing to 'reverse engineer' such an item, please be advised that the combination of a cheap (<$200) LCR indicator and a simple (i.e. single plane) radiograph of the device makes a scant 30 minute job of it!:cool:

Best regards

Last edited:

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Good deal!:cool: -- For the benefit of anyone needing to 'reverse engineer' such an item, please be advised that the combination of a cheap (<$200) LCR indicator and a simple (i.e. single plane) radiograph of the device makes a scant 30 minute job of it!:cool:

Best regards
...and where does one get a cheap radiograph (commonly called an X-Ray)?;)