Do you have an Amazing Idea That has promise

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by loosewire, Aug 24, 2010.

1. loosewire

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    I made a post about N.A.R.P.A.,I was watching book t.v.
    on c-span sunday.It was a very good book review.It talked a bout
    missle bullets,robotic Mil surgery uints being tested.They said they
    have no office but spend billons in research of Idea's.Mil or private on
    private research in the field,universities,private people.They claim to have
    started the internet for sure,check wikipedia on this.If you have agood
    Idea,They will back you even if it is way out. Here's your chance.

2. Bosparra

Feb 17, 2010
    We need to work on a solution which will allow me to put the smoke back into my components.;)

3. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    99.9% of the places that offer to invest in good ideas or find you funding are a scam in one way or another.

4. tom66

May 9, 2009
    Companies that promise to 'invest' in your invention are almost always a scam. Dave Jones (I love this guy - only blogger on the internet in tune with us electronics geeks) has a few words to say about getting your product on the market, including those companies that invest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7BL1O0xCcY

5. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I had some pretty cool ideas, and my wife found some company that claimed to do things like patent searches, prototype engineering support, marketing studies, etc. - all paid for by the inventor, of course.

Of course they're enthusiastic about your idea. One of the first things this company wanted to do was a patent search; it would cost around $700, and I needed to send it right away so they could get started.

Yeah, right.

I started digging around on the Internet for more information on the company, and it didn't look promising - but I asked for an information packet anyway, and read the whole thing. At the end of the packet, in very small lettering, was a court-ordered disclaimer that they had been forced to include as a result of a class-action lawsuit that they had lost, was that less than 0.06% of the inventions that they had been involved with had actually made it to market.

Which means that over 99.94% of the inventors who had paid in hard-earned cash got bilked out of their money.

There are very few legitimate companies involved in helping inventors get their ideas to market.

PackratKing likes this.
  6. wannaBinventor

Apr 8, 2010
    Care to ID those companies Wook? I'd ultimately like to sell my prototyped idea off to a company that has already developed the necessary supply channels/cultivated similar markets, but I really can't begin to know who would be helpful and who would be a scam.

Alas, this is still a ways off for me....

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I deliberately left off the name and certain keywords, because now that company is masquerading as several other companies that will all happily take your money.

You can't write anything in stone on this. Corrupt companies might be forced by the courts to straighten up. Legitimate companies might go rogue, or wind up being populated with scammers. Anything I write would be dated, as this happened 7-8 years ago, and naming companies may cause problems for AAC.

You simply need to be aware that such "vulture"/scam artist companies exist, in far greater numbers than legitimate companies, and you'll get fleeced very quickly if you do not do your own research before you pony up your cold, hard cash.

PackratKing likes this.
  8. DangerousBill

Jul 21, 2010
    I think it's safe to say that any company that promises to patent and market your invention is likely to be crooked.

If they tell you they'll make you rich or that manufacturers are clawing at the doors for your invention, they're 100% sure to be scams.

Legitimate patent services aren't cheap and they don't make promises. Even so, only the tiniest fraction of legitimate patents ever make a dime for anyone.

The short answer is to be informed and read, read, read. Also read what Don Lancaster has to say about patents at
    www.tinaja.com

Dangerous Bill

9. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    The only proper way to do it is to get your idea perfected and protected on your own before proceeding. A simple but only partially effective method is to document everything, take a demo and several copies of the documentation to several notaries and get the papers notarized. You then mail these copies via Registered Mail to a number of people, preferrably of some influence in business and try to include at least one attorney. Instruct them all NOT to open the envelope but just to file it away.

You have now established a somewhat provable date of conception, not ironclad but it will carry some weight should you need it in future.

Unfortunately the U.S. Patent Office is several years behind in reviewing new applications so it's going to be risky thus the reason for getting all the protection you can to begin with.

The next thing is to try and get some time with a few company officers at some other firms that have patented products already on the market, explain to them what you're doing and see if they can suggest the best way to go about getting yours to market.

I've been working for over four years trying to secure private investment in a project through a friend who owns a stock brokerage firm. It required that I develop a full business plan both in summary and in detail. In time he feels he'll run into someone or a group of investors that will fit the bill.

BTW: Don't go asking for something like $100,000, for some odd reason most investors won't touch anything unless it's in the several million $ range, even if that simple $100,000 appears that it could return them several million back in a few short years.

The only other alternative you have is having friends in high places or learning to make them quickly.

10. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    Guys you missed the point,this is not about patents,I asked you
    to look up N.A.R.P.A.It Is a proven government agency that backs
    way out projects that Is the way of the future.Look them up on
    wikipedia.Look at the sucess of the program.The member that
    memtioned smoke,they would go for
    smoke that we can see thru and the other guys can't.Give
    this post a serious look. Shoot a bullet out of a small arms,It will
    tract a a target, look up c-spans
    program library for last sunday. Read the story,listen to the program.You will
    be informed. The medical machine takes Images and go the source of bleeding
    doing things internal quickly.Search this,give it a second look.You all went to patents
    in a group.Think out side the box, the smoke is a good staring place,the smoke could
    Id the other side by mass to be destoryed. Follow the smoke with some suggestion.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  11. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    I'll read it again but my business plan includes buying a decent sized plot of land in the country and erecting an entire facility including living quarters as part of it. That last part isn't exactly mentioned like it sounds, it has to do with security reasons.

12. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    Smoke e'm out.

13. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    Can you give us more information on NARPA. When I googled it, I got the following.
    NARPA‘s mission is to promote policies and pursue strategies that result in individuals with psychiatric diagnoses making their own choices regarding treatment. We educate and mentor those individuals to enable them to exercise their legal and human rights with a goal of abolition of all forced treatment.
    NARPA is an independent organization, solely supported by its members. It is a unique mix of people who have experienced psychiatric intervention, advocates, civil rights activists, mental health workers, and lawyers -- with many people whose roles overlap. NARPA exists to to protect people’s right to choice and to be free from coercion, and to promote alternatives so that the right to choice can be meaningful. Read about NARPA's history of human rights advocacy, check out the ADA Case of the Week archives, and more.
    It's clear that this is not what you mean.

I also found the following:
    The North American Raw Petfood Association (NARPA) was created to represent the interests of companies making raw pet foods, or raw diets, and to promote the continued development of nutritious and safe raw diets. Our members are manufacturers who believe that the best way to promote health for our companion carnivores is to feed them food that comes as close as practical to a biologically appropriate, natural diet. This means a diet that is primarily based on some form of raw meats, bones and organ meats.
    Did you mean DARPA?

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is an agency of the United States Department of Defense responsible for the development of new technology for use by the military. DARPA has been responsible for funding the development of many technologies which have had a major effect on the world, including computer networking, as well as NLS, which was both the first hypertext system, and an important precursor to the contemporary ubiquitous graphical user interface.

14. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    The North American Raw Petfood Association (NARPA)

Thats it. If you have a recipe, no matter HOW FAR OUT, they will make it into a tasty food for your four legged pals.

;)

15. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    Darpa,I never get It right the first time,A loosewire some where.
    Steve I knew you would get it right. Table Scrapes sounds like
    a good new brand for doggy.

16. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    What we know as the INTERNET originated as what was called DARPANET.

I knew a guy that was part of the original team but lost contact with him ages ago.

17. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    No, it was ARPANET.

I was a user of it in the early 80's.

18. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Guess you're correct, MIT + DARPA did it together.

19. tom66

May 9, 2009
    Companies that promise to market your invention are a scam.

For example, Davison.com, has, at the footer of their website, a link to a "Court Ordered Disclosure Statement".

14 inventions out of 584,568, or 0.0023% of inventions made money (over the royalties that Davidson charges) and less than 0.001% of Davidson's income came from the inventions themselves; the rest of the income came from fees.

Scam or not?

20. loosewire

Apr 25, 2008
    We are not talking patents,good free stuff If you have the right plan.
    Like artificical smoke the good guys can see thru,with mask. Maybe a
    concussion helmet that will keep you awake while the bad guy sleeps.
    Does any of that exsist.What part of the body exposed in an equal
    battle?