Do you care that what you create won't be here in the next ten to twenty years?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Tell that to my dead beat step kids.
Tell that to the inventor of Algebra, Al-Khwarizmi

Or to the guy who invented photography, Nicéphore Niépce.

Or the guy who invented Mormonism, Joseph Smith.

These guys didn't patent a product or build a lasting structure. They just had an idea that that took hold in the lives of people, and passed down. Their work is done, their history has been written; Their names will be the remembered as long as there continues to be written history. And where is the immortal object they created? There never was one. No need for it. But the name of Joseph Strauss, the engineer of the Golden Gate Bridge will fade from notoriety when the bridge gets condemned and torn down. Nobody cares who designed a bridge that isn't around anymore, no matter how many decades it stood.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Pretty much everything that I've created in a career that has lasted half a century is in the landfill. It was cool in it's time and performed useful work, but nothing lasts forever. It was only in my later years that I refused to let work run my life and define who I was. I wish I'd had a Dutch Uncle to clue me in a bit sooner. Whatever you do -- don't follow in my footsteps.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 've purposely disposed of some gadgets and contraptions I 've built/acquired over the years. Growing too attached to your objects isn't a good thing.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
That is why you never stop creating. If one of your inventions is replaced you have other ones that won't be (for some time at least). But yea I know what you mean.

You think of Tesla as being someone whose inventions are permanent. AC power. The global standard for more than 100 years. But now it is threatened by HVDC. Oh well he still has Tesla Coils and many other things.

The point is, invent things which are so fundamental and change society to such a degree that they can never be replaced. And have your name in the invention title. ;)