• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
http://phys.org/news186830615.html

"...Cashmore, Professor of Biology at the
University of Pennsylvania
, says that many biologists today still cling to the idea of free will, and reject the idea that we are simply conscious machines, completely controlled by a combination of our chemistry and external environmental forces."

"...Cashmore, Professor of Biology at the
University of Pennsylvania
, says that many biologists today still cling to the idea of free will, and reject the idea that we are simply conscious machines, completely controlled by a combination of our chemistry and external environmental forces."

"...Vitalism was discarded more than 100 years ago, being replaced with evidence that biological systems obey the laws of chemistry and physics, not special biological laws for living things."

“I would like to convince biologists that a belief in free will is nothing other than a continuing belief in vitalism (or, as I say, a belief in magic),” Cashmore told

My question:

1) Do you believe in Free Will?

2) Are there really random? If so, what is cause-and-effect?

3) Is the event of scientists arguing this kind of stuff been predetermined before?

Thanks!~

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
My question:

1) Do you believe in Free Will?
Yes
2) Are there really random? If so, what is cause-and-effect?
I do things completey at random and no one person can really ever predict what I am going to say or do .. So because of this I have had to learn to read people very well in order to understand how they will react and most people are completely predictable..
3) Is the event of scientists arguing this kind of stuff been predetermined before?
Scientist argue don't matter what in order to prove they are right and you are wrong ,so in the end it's whatever you believe because science changes all the time ..
I believe some things happen for a reason and have seen it first hand and others are made when you make a decision wither good or bad

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes, 'Free Will' is magic but so is 'Quantum Mechanics' and nondeterministic Chaos. We don't know why it works the way it does but it exists. After the fact we can trace back the finest details of the cause of an event but this is useless to actually predict the future from those finest details as we can only have probabilities of future results at the atomic and human scale.
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~miller/teaching/astr320/lecture21.pdf

One final comment about this. The unpredictability of quantum mechanics strikes
many non-scientists as a profound departure from classical physics. However, chaos in
classical systems belies this. Even though in principle one might have imagined a perfectly
determined clockwork universe, in reality even the tiniest 10-100 level error in one's initial
conditions will be magnified to uncertainty in a ridiculously short time. Effectively, the
classical universe is nondeterministic as well, so it's a bit silly to hold forth profoundly
about how quantum mechanics allows free will or the like!

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We are how we are born to be, but how we handle it is a result of long thought and personal decisions. Everyone chooses a personal code of honor, though they may not think of it as such. Some folks are much looser than others, it can even simply be "It's all about me!".

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
And so what is psychology? I mean it is the understanding of the human mind? But psychology can't predict the exact happenings in someone's brain, right?

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Psychology is another pseudoscience, much like religion.

Yes, I believe and practice Free Will.....and so should everyone else.;)

Free Will and Free Speech, is as American as it gets.

If you can't talk about something, you have something to hide.

Like politicians, preachers, popes, etc.

Bedazzle them with BS, and they will do whatever you say.

Like the BS of such a thing as a, "War on Terror" "War on Drugs", "War on Poverty", etc....

ALL Bullshit. ALL the time.:D

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Pseudoscience? OK.......... I understand....

But why there is still APA? DSM??

Ok... But sometimes psychology works or is this coincidence??

Ok.. would that mean that the universe is MORE THAN cause-and-effect? If so, how can we trace back our origins? It's , at least in my current not-so intelligent mind, very hard to predict what the past may be without cause and effect?

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Psychology is another pseudoscience, much like religion.

Yes, I believe and practice Free Will.....and so should everyone else.;)

Free Will and Free Speech, is as American as it gets.

If you can't talk about something, you have something to hide.

Like politicians, preachers, popes, etc.

Bedazzle them with BS, and they will do whatever you say.

Like the BS of such a thing as a, "War on Terror" "War on Drugs", "War on Poverty", etc....

ALL Bullshit. ALL the time.:D
What?:D

Do you mean If you can't talk about certain something, then you may be hiding something??

What is politicans, preachers, peopes??? Impress them with bullshit? How do you do that?

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"Do you mean If you can't talk about certain something, then you may be hiding something??"

Not what I said.

Ever ask a politician a question?

They give answers that please you.

They are guilty of omission.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Ok.. would that mean that the universe is MORE THAN cause-and-effect? If so, how can we trace back our origins? It's , at least in my current not-so intelligent mind, very hard to predict what the past may be without cause and effect?

should be rephrased as

Ok.. would that mean that the universe is MORE THAN cause-and-effect? If so, how can we trace back our origins? It's , at least in my current not-so intelligent mind, very hard to predict what the past may be if it's more than cause and effect??

thnx

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Quantum Physics deals in probabilities. By itself this implies Free Will to my mind. It is possible every real choice we make is represented somewhere, but when I look back on my life I have had to make key decisions that took me down a path that I couldn't retrace later.

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
If someone else exactly like you would had lived your exact same life, would he be in the exact place as you?

If you think he would, then there is no free will.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I fear if I were to answer this, someone might misunderstand and take this onto a religious tangent :p

Simply put, I think everyone has free will, for sure. They make their own choices and deal with the consequences. But that doesn't change my opinion that you still have a purpose in life, that you are "destined", so to speak, to achieve certain things before you die. I believe everything happens for a reason, and that nobody's lives or choices are pointless in any way.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Loosewire , will use his free will to meet Brownout a professional by all means of

discussion. So where does that leave Loosewire....with free will to do what he likes.

So do you think Loosewire has free will.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well if Loosewire is going to meet brownout on purpose that would imply that perhaps Loosewire is seriously misinformed about what he is going to find when he gets there. :p

In this case curiosity may be pulling the two together but advice from others whom have gone before would suggest using free will to counter that influence that curiosity is exerting and suggest to run the other way. ;)

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
If someone else exactly like you would had lived your exact same life, would he be in the exact place as you?

If you think he would, then there is no free will.
Would that require also same time? I assume you only mean same event, same material things,? But how about time????? Two event cannot occur at the very same place at the very same time, IMpermeability...

Or does time effect at all or not at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.