Do SLA batteries need to be vented?

foolios

Joined Feb 4, 2009
You are not supposed to parallel batteries with dissimilar capacities and try to charge them as a group. If charging a bunch of batteries in parallel, they should all be the same model/make, same capacity, bought at the same time...

Say the charger is capable of delivering 40A. The battery with initial lowest state-of-charge is going to get hit with 40A while the others take not much. The 40A charge rate for the single battery taking it all could be 5X the max allowed charge rate for that one battery...
awe crud...

I have read a few articles before doing so, and for the most part, suggested as being ok. I was doing so until I could acquire more 55ah batteries.

You think if I remove the one 26 ah that maybe things will settle down some? I will prolly try to test it this weekend and see how high it goes since I'll have a noon day where I've got nothing else to do.

snav

Joined Aug 1, 2011
It means standby , not cyclical duty. So Backup battery applications like security, telecom, UPS as opposed to cyclical like solar lighting, portable lights, mobility devices(carts/boats etc)

Most MFG have charge rates for different uses printed on case of battery.

FWIW: Chargers that are closely regulated cost more than others and most producers sell on price. I've seen Old alarm systems that had a single diode on secondary of transformer as total charging supply. As the MFG sold service plans and replacing batteries was a profit center.....

Last edited: