Do not use an extension chord

Nathan Hale

Joined Oct 28, 2011
Hi all! Hope all is well.

i just bought a Frigidaire dehumidifier.

http://www.amazon.com/Frigidaire-FA...humidifier/dp/B00AU7GYXA/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

the manual and the website are screaming all over .."DO NOT USE AN EXTENSION CHORD".
my question to you guys is why am i not allowed to use an extension chord if the gauge and power rating of the extension chord is good enough to run this load?
thank you for your replies!
Electrical Specifications

Amps (Cool): 4.8
Horsepower (Cool): 0.71
Plug Type: 5-15P
Power Cord Length: 6' (6-1/2')
Voltage Rating: 115V, 60Hz
Watts (Cool): 530

Last edited:

jamus

Joined Feb 11, 2013
Yeah, what MikeML said. Dehumidifiers are probably prone to making puddles on the floor, so you don't want a junction between two cords there.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It's a safety issue. Every time you put an interruption in the current path you add another possible trouble spot. The plug/socket connections themselves will heat up, and the wire size will depend on how long the extension cord is, as the wires themselves will heat up.

It's actually a bit involved to select the proper extension for a high powered device such as this.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
my question to you guys is why am i not allowed to use an extension chord if the gauge and power rating of the extension chord is good enough to run this load?
I use extension cords on appliances that I'm not supposed to with no problems. Keep in mind that the startup current requirements for this will be many times more than what was on the specs, and size your cord accordingly.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Its a statement required to obtain the UL listing for that device.

#1- extension cords are UL listed for temporary use only.
#2- most consumers are not knowledgeable enough to choose a proper extension cord.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think mcgyvr did a good job here. (This machine will take about 40 amps as a start surge.)

I once had a customer give me an air compressor because it kept overheating. The problem was a 16 gauge extension cord. Well, the label said it only used 12 amps, right?
Not at 50 feet from a proper power wire!