do i need an ethernet controller for my device?

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by sani_figs, Feb 18, 2008.

1. sani_figs

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Hi, I am working on my graduate thesis and i really need help. :confused:

I am to build an electricity meter which should be able to communicate through a LAN (the device should be able to connect to a hub and then send data to a pc.). My problem is if I should build an "ethernet controller" to be able to send data to the hub/network/pc. My device will have a Z8 microcontroller for processing and initially I thought it was as straight forward as in RS232 communication. Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
  2. n9352527

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2005
    It might be easier to use an ethernet module or serial to ethernet converter. There are many of them on the market, they are relatively easy to connect to microcontroller or processor. Have a look on this page
  3. mrmeval

Distinguished Member

Jun 30, 2006
    A couple of standards might help RS422 and RS485. RS422 is point to point, RS485 can have multiple devices. These two standards run farther than RS232. RS232 can run 50 feet. RS422 or RS485 can run 4000ft.

Here is a schematic for one end of a circuit.

You may not need one on your device if you're using TTL, you'd just need the 75176 chip and that part of the circuit.