Do I need a smoothing capacitor?

magnetman12003

Joined May 10, 2008
I have harvested 160 volts DC off the outer surface of a plasma ball lamp after running it through a hi voltage, hi current, full wave diode bridge rectifier. With no smoothing capacitor.

My plan now is to dump that voltage directly into a 20 FARAD capacitor. Yes - a 20 FARAD cap.
What I need to know is do I need some sort of smoothing capacitor on the bridge rectifier to smooth
whatever pulse AC frequency the plasma ball is generating? If its needed at all - what value? That's prior to dumping it into the large cap.
Please check this out first.

All help greatly appreciated

Last edited:

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Considering the very high impedance of the outside of a plasma ball lamp, you are being optimistic if you think you will be able to "dump" the surface charge into a 20F capacitor and achieve any useful effect.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What I need to know is do I need some sort of smoothing capacitor on the bridge rectifier ...
Nope. The pulses are DC and will slowly push charge into your big capacitor. That must be rated for the voltage you take it to, or you'll ruin it.

I doubt your device will move enough charge to overcome the leakage current of your capacitor.