Do I need a PICkit?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ke5nnt, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ke5nnt

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Let me explain briefly what I'm doing.

I know enough assembly to get by, I want to learn C. When I started learning assembly I had to have a way to program the chips I was writing code for, so I bought an ebay chinese special that I can program PIC micros with, so I already have what I need to program chips, and I'm familiar with MPLab IDE since that's what I've been using to write ASM with.

So, my question is, is it worth buying a PICkit at this point? Will there be some benefit over just IDE and a programmer when doing C programming that PICkit can offer me? And, if the answer is yes, then please answer the following question as well...

Would I be better off buying PICkit 2 Debug Express or the PICkit 2 Starter Kit.

Thanks for the advice, as always.

2. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  3. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

If you want to program PICs you do not need a PICkit but you will need some form of programmer.

There are other 3rd party programmers out there but that is it, they are programmers and that is it.

A PICkit will allow you to debug inline too. This is extremely useful for the newbie like you and me.

I cannot speak to the PICKit 2 line of products, since I own the PICKit3. But the PICKit2 is now obsolete. It is not supposed to work on any chips produced after September 2010. But the 2 is supposed to have one or two features the 3 does not have like a rudimentary logic analyzer.

If you want to program in C then PICKit2 or 3 will work but you really should concentrate on the 18F family of PICs.

And compilers are free for a large number of types of compilers from various companies. Most are crippled a but by dialing back some optimization but they should work fine for you.

4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I would have chosen a PICKIT 3 debug express bundle. As this kit use a 18F series chip. If you are on budget select a PICKIT 2 only kit. And build your own trainer on breadboard. Using a 18F chip. Since you are going to use C I will strongly recommend not using the 16F series, but step up to the 18F series. The 18F series is more optimized for C programming. And for the hobbyist the cost difference for the MCUs is almost nothing

5. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    As an alternate to a development kit, you can go with something like this and build your own development board.

If price is not a problem then something like this is nice. It would be much better if it had ZIF sockets.

6. ke5nnt

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. I suppose for now I'll just use the programmer I have. Perhaps I could just get one of these various development boards to toy around with.

7. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    You could also build your own PICKIT2, the hardware details and source code are available on the microchip site. You need a PIC programmer to burn the main chip, but you've got one of those. There are simplified versions online that have a few less components like the memory chips (which I don't think are actually used, I think they were for some upgrade that never happened).

8. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    There have been some updates to the thread I linked to, I even put some pics up.

It's getting too late to download the software and plug it in but I am so tempted, however I'd probably end up staying up until dawn just playing with it.