DLD, question to be solved

Scorpion311

Joined Oct 7, 2016
I m new to Digital Logic design subject. Can you guys help me solve this problem. i will upload the steps i have performed with this post.Untitled.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As noted already, you need to provide your work so far.

Under what conditions would Y ever sound? Are you sure you have all of the specifications shown?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Ask yourself if your solution makes sense.

Your diagram shows that X and Y are ALWAYS the same.

Do ANY of the specifications have X and Y not being the same?

If so, then is any solution that forces them to be the same possibly correct?

Similarly, you show that X and Z are ALWAYS opposite of each other.

Do ANY of the specifications have X and Z being the same?

If so, then is any solution that forces them to be opposite of each other possibly correct?

In addition, you have Z being driven by two different gates -- in other words, you have the outputs of two gates tied directly together. How do you expect the signal on that node to behave.

RBR1317

Joined Nov 13, 2010
Most engineers are not able to jump directly from the problem description to the logic circuit, which is why there is a defined procedure to design a digital function. Step #1 is to translate the problem description into a truth table. Step #2 is to transfer the truth table to a Karnaugh map. Step #3 is minimization to obtain the simplified Boolean expressions. Step #4 is to implement the Boolean expressions in logic gates.

It appears you need to perform step #1, which may be why the assignment states, "You are required to provide a truth table,..."

Screenshot from 2016-10-07 20-04-36.png

Last edited:

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
i find it unbelievable that the person with a hart condition should be further exited by a sudden alarm when his/her condition is already critical

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
i find it unbelievable that the person with a hart condition should be further exited by a sudden alarm when his/her condition is already critical
Assuming the alarm is local ... it's more than likely at the nurses station. The patient sees nothing these days as it's all wifi data going to the nurses station.

This is a typical logic learning exercise.