DIY xenon trigger transformer

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
The ones I messed around with had a small PCB size transformer in them, Around a 0.650" cube.
FWIW they're rather handy!:) -- They typically feature a feedback tap such that the power oscillator is implemented via a single BJT sans biasing resistors, etc... --- I have found said devices to be an ultra-compact solution to certain applications 'traditionally' featuring CCFL transformers where only 'flea power' output is required (e.g. PMTs, GM tubes, 'capacitor chargers', neon indicator lamps, etc...) -- Surprisingly, for devices intended for disposable products, they have proven quite reliable:)

Best regards
HP

Jazz2C

Joined May 27, 2016
I have found said devices to be an ultra-compact solution to certain applications 'traditionally' featuring CCFL transformers where only 'flea power' output is required (e.g. PMTs, GM tubes, 'capacitor chargers', neon indicator lamps, etc...)
Yea but if you use it to charge a big capacitor it could be a long wait if the Cap isn't formed! I don't know what value series resistor the pflash modules use but it takes a good 30 seconds to charge a 100uF Cap to 300V So that's 150mJ per second:rolleyes: And I forgot to mention that electrolytics are leaky!

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Yea but if you use it to charge a big capacitor it could be a long wait if the Cap isn't formed! I don't know what value series resistor the pflash modules use but it takes a good 30 seconds to charge a 100uF Cap to 300V So that's 150mJ per second:rolleyes: And I forgot to mention that electrolytics are leaky!
No kidding?!:confused::rolleyes: --- So... What part of "flea power output" did you find too cerebral?

Best regards
HP:)