DIY Solar Controller Design

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by russpatterson, Oct 3, 2012.

1. russpatterson

Thread Starter Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Here's all the source files for the DIY Solar Controller.

I can post a link to order the PC board on Batch PCB service if you're interested.

I've been putting more time into antique audio electronics lately and I wanted to make this solar controller work available.

This is everything you need to build a micro-controller based, current limiting solar controller. It's open source. It can intelligently charge 12V SLA batteries, run motors (water pumps, etc.) and control LED lighting. It's built for a 12V system. Be safe and test any build thoroughly and house it in a metal box if it's going to be left unattended. Read about battery safety.

I hope you can make the world a little bit more solar powered with this information. This is a useful design for any medium sized remote, solar application. I've tested it with a 60 watt panel and 18aH battery and it works great. It will run boat bilge pump all day in the sun or run a set of LED outdoor lights for most of the night. The tech in this board is a great start of any solar powered project that needs power measured in amp hours. There are already many that provide milli-amp hours for small stuff.

Here's the zip file with everything needed.
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=46985&stc=1&d=1349283857

Let me know you have any questions or run into any problems.