DIY Rotary Encoder ?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Dammi, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Dammi

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hey guys!

I was hoping to get your opinion on this. This is a part of my homework assignment which I asked about here -> http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=50037
    <-

I'm going with the cup anemometer, so the next problem is determining the wind direction, I was thinking about using a fin that turns with the wind and attached to the shaft would be a cylinder.

I'm gonna describe it very simply, so it's a cylinder through the center goes the axle. Around the axle in the center of that cylinder would be a rotary encoder (which would use a 4bit grey code).

Below that would be 4 LED's in a straight line and above the roatary encoder I'd have 4 sensors that would pick up that light that comes through the encoder.

I'm just wondering what I should be aware when constructing this and what to look for, I was just thinking basicly using a plastic circle, cut the greycodes into it, spraying it black and mounting it up.

Or should I maybe be trying to find a reflective surface instead ?

All advice welcome ! :p

2. Dammi

Feb 15, 2011
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the encoder would have only have 8 positions :)

3. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    sure, why not. If you used a printer, you could produce quite a fine optical wheel. You may want to consider putting a pinhole arpeture between the led and sensor, but only for finer detail.

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    My advice would be to make sure no sunlight can get to the sensors otherwise it can overwhelm the LEDs.

6. Dammi

Feb 15, 2011
    Yeah, that was my thought as well so that's what the cylinder would hopefully take care of :)

Thanks for the replys guys! I'm really loving this forum :rolleyes: alot of useful stuff lying around here