diy pcb at home

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by embpic, May 14, 2014.

1. embpic

Thread Starter Member

May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    With the UV method, you need to use copper clad board with a light sensitive photo resist. Otherwise not much happens.

There will probably be some suggestions of alternate methods following, so I will mention one. This one doesn't require a coated board and uses an etchant that doesn't leave horrible stains all over:

http://www.dr-lex.be/hardware/tonertransfer.html

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    There's a very good thread here somewhere on DIY PCB manufacture. I think Bill Marsden might have tended it, but anyway the folks around here submitted many different approaches to each of the steps. If you're interested and can't find it, let us know. I'm sure we can unearth it.

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    You can get custom double sided PCBs with plated thru holes, solder mask, tinned pads a one side silk screen for $34USD for 5x5cm or $44USD for 10x10cm boards. Price includes shipping.

Good, cheap, not very fast but you can pay more for expedited shipping.

Just sayin. ;)

wayneh likes this.
  5. grages

May 6, 2014
    Wayne is correct, here is the link to the thread

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=47681

6. DC_Kid

Distinguished Member

Feb 25, 2008
    i did at-home pcb for making test boards for quite some time. i used a UV light bed to expose circuit tracks printed onto plastic transparencies via laser printer. then expose that to the UV (you need the photo sensitive boards), then you wash away the photo resist and then etch. to etch i used the etching solution from R Shack, my board would have a hole in one corner so i could suspend it in a pool of solution. i used a relatively small plastic cylinder filled with etching solution along with a fish tank heater and small air pump. heat and agitation makes things go faster. after etching rinse with clean water and dry. then i would drill the holes on my drill press using ~029 drill bit. a very slow process, but it works.