DIY mom in need of help!

rkwest

Joined Feb 23, 2013
I think that is where the confusion lies.
Yes, you're correct. The motor on the left is the original. After looking at the site again, I can see that the original motor in this picture, and the finished product motor picture have the diode in opposite directions in regard to the ground.

Just to make sure I'm understanding, is this the basic theory of what might be going on here?: Swing stops, transistor is hot. I replaced the motor and the transistor still got hot. I replaced the transistor and the new transistor got hot. So, is it possible that the original motor failed and caused the transistor to heat up, I then replaced it with a new motor with a backwards diode, which also caused a hot transistor, and then I just replaced the transistor which was pointless?

(I'm at work today and I haven't been able to try out the suggestion to remove the motor and check the transistor. It'll have to wait til this evening.)

If I do flip the diode, will I need to get a new one? Is this one fried?

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I think you have bigger problems than that small transistor or that diode. That large transistor on that separate board might be shorted too and / or the motor is bound up or shorted.

rkwest

Joined Feb 23, 2013
Update - I flipped that diode on the motor around and reworked all the soldering I did before and it's working like a charm! Thank you guys so much for helping me out!!!! :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I congratulate you! You did well considering your level of expertise.
Lesson learned: Come here first next time you wish to tackle something like this again.
This forum is the best place in the world to get help on anything electronic.

btw, that must be some kind of a record. Complex problem resolved in less than two days - over the weekend.
There is no place in the world that can provide that kind of electronic repair service - and for free!

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Update - I flipped that diode on the motor around and reworked all the soldering I did before and it's working like a charm! Thank you guys so much for helping me out!!!! :)
Cool! It's always happy making when somebody gets something fixed! Like MrChips stated, though, I think this is a record. We've had pages of a few hundred posts and lots of pictures back and forth before something got fixed.

Props to tshuck for spotting the issue straight off. :D

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hey, that's great!

It's not very often that a solution can be found that quickly!

I honestly didn't think that was your only problem, but if it's working great!:D

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

My question is how did it get flipped in the first place?

Or was it always that way and you just took a shot in the dark?

rkwest

Joined Feb 23, 2013
My question is how did it get flipped in the first place?

Or was it always that way and you just took a shot in the dark?
When I replaced the original motor with the one from the air freshener (see previous discussion) the instructions I followed showed the diode backwards in the final step.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How did you know the motor in an air freshener would be the same size motor in a swing?

AAC should start giving out awards for the best hack for a newcomer.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Where does it mention the air freshener motor? Am I missing something?
There's an article on instructables for the hack, but not written superbly (like most of instructables), but I'd say it is above average.

Air freshener $9 (just for replacement motor, that would cost > $50 from manufacturer of swing).

Photos how to swap them out and mount new shaft.

Still requires good mechanical and electrical/soldering aptitude on the part of the user, and the OP did extremely well except for this obscure detail (diode direction), which isn't mentioned clearly in the instructions.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
There's an article on instructables for the hack, but not written superbly (like most of instructables), but I'd say it is above average.

Air freshener $9 (just for replacement motor, that would cost > $50 from manufacturer of swing).

Photos how to swap them out and mount new shaft.

Still requires good mechanical and electrical/soldering aptitude on the part of the user, and the OP did extremely well except for this obscure detail (diode direction), which isn't mentioned clearly in the instructions.
..and is shown in the wrong direction in the last image of the instructable, as noted by the OP...

rkwest

Joined Feb 23, 2013
Thanks guys! I must admit I was kind of impressed that my $9 hack fixed a $200 swing. Couldn't have done it without everyone's help though!