Divider by 60 with JKFlipFlops

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by chrisbmx15, Dec 12, 2010.

1. chrisbmx15

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So a student in my course told me to go here for some help with
    my Electronics Workbench project. Trying to get a Divider to divide by 60 using JKFlip Flops. I seem to have it working here with the 5 but when I add a 6th everything goes bad. Any advice? Here is what I got so far.

2. tyblu

Nov 29, 2010
    A frequency divider? To tell you the truth the schematic is half-hazardly placed, making it difficult to follow the signal flow. Typically one tries to get a left-to-right signal flow in schematics. What is your plan do divide by 60, and what is this schematic supposed to do?

3. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    The 7476 is a JK-FF. 30 isn't a power of 2 and therefore you can't count it easilly with FFs.
    Why don't you try a Counter IC? Have it count up to 15 and then use that ripple to clock a D-FF.

Is that clear?

4. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Seven j-k flip flops will do a divide by 60.

on edit ... added block diagram

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  5. chrisbmx15

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Ok, the Counter IC is something I havent worked with yet but after learning up on it sounds like its a lot simpler then the FF way. Im going to try and work with that and see if I can get it to work. Ill get back

6. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    The counter is simpler. Is this a class exercise or just build a /60 divider?

If you haven't learned counters yet, and it's a class exercise, you might have to return to the j-k flip-flop version.