Divide the frequency using a down counter

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
I need to divide the input frequency (let's say divide by 50) using the down count mode of the 74192 UP/DOWN decade counter. I will use the parallel inputs to give the desired count value. Since the count is more than 10, I will need cascade counters.
Please help me how to configure this implementation to divide the input frequency.

Datasheet of 74192 IC: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/23048/STMICROELECTRONICS/74192.html

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Do you a fixed divide or is the number selectable?

For a fixed divide by 50, you need two counters. Divide by 5 followed divide by 10.

The counter does not have to be UP/DOWN counter. You can use any UP counter.

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
Do you a fixed divide or is the number selectable?

For a fixed divide by 50, you need two counters. Divide by 5 followed divide by 10.

The counter does not have to be UP/DOWN counter. You can use any UP counter.
Nope. It is not a fixed divide. The number is selectable. Can I do it using down count mode? How should I configure the pins to do this frequency divide?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Next questions:

1) What is your input clock frequency?
2) What is the range of frequencies you need?
3) At what resolution?
4) From the above, you can answer what are the numbers you need in your divisor?
5) What are you trying to build?

There are such things as binary rate multiplier, phase looked loop oscillator, digital frequency generator/synthesizer.

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
Next questions:

1) What is your input clock frequency?
2) What is the range of frequencies you need?
3) At what resolution?
4) From the above, you can answer what are the numbers you need in your divisor?
5) What are you trying to build?

There are such things as binary rate multiplier, phase looked loop oscillator, digital frequency generator/synthesizer.
5) Programmable divided by N counter for a PLL
2) It varies from 88MHz to 108MHz. You know that, F = NxFR.
Finally, the output frequency of the divider should be the referance frequency,FR. ( FR is 100 kHz). I will set the desired count, to get the output frequency (F) at the VCO.
4) 880 to 1080
3) What do you mean as the resolution?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you are counting down a 74192 counter the divided frequency output will be BORROW.
To get 50% duty cycle you have to feed this into a T-flip/flop (an additional divide by 2 stage).

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
If you are counting down a 74192 counter the divided frequency output will be BORROW.
To get 50% duty cycle you have to feed this into a T-flip/flop (an additional divide by 2 stage).
Hi
Where should I place the T flip flop?
Why do I need it?
Then how I connect asynchronous parallel load pin of each counter?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You take the BORROW output from the 74192 and feed this into the CLOCK input of a T-flip/flop which can be created from any D, T, or J-K flip-flop.

You feed the BORROW signal to the LOAD input.
I would have to breadboard this to be sure.

dumindu89

Joined Oct 28, 2010
You take the BORROW output from the 74192 and feed this into the CLOCK input of a T-flip/flop which can be created from any D, T, or J-K flip-flop.
What should be the input for the T input?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I wire up the 74192 and simulated it with a divisor of 60. I setup a 3rd 74192 to display the results. Before connecting the JK FF to divide the result by 2, the 3rd 74192 immediately increments by 1 when power is applied. With the JK FF, the up-counter would first increment after 60 counts and subsequently increments after every 120 counts.

My clock input is 5% duty cycle at 4 Hz. :)

Any ideas?:confused:

Allen

Attachments

Last edited: