dither frequency with pwm to drive proportional valve

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by mah, Apr 28, 2015.

1. mah

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    i am planning to drive proportional valve using pwm by atmega. i will do functions of ramp up and down in c code . dither frequency is needed to avoid stiction of the valve and to smooth the pwm signal . this dither frequency is ranging from 70–350 Hz and amplitude 0–10% of maximum current . the question here is how to do the dither in software programming?

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Proportional valves generally use a closed loop feedback of some kind, does yours include this?
    Max.

3. mah

Mar 15, 2010
    for now i will do it without feedback for simplification

any help?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I am still not sure how you are going to position without some kind of feedback indication?
    Especially if the Hydraulic load varies?
    Max.

5. mah

Mar 15, 2010
    as i told you i will do it later but let's find out now how to do the dither .

6. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    :confused:Surely adding dither will introduce additional modulation components, which is the opposite of a smoothing effect?

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    As I understand it, dither is used to counteract the effects of catch and release ("stiction"). Saying it smooths the PWM was a small misstatement. It smooths the movement produced by the PWM control signal (http://www.qualityhydraulics.com/blog/what-dither-versus-pwm/). I know nothing about how to generate that dither, but my current project -- if it gets that far -- will face the same problem.

Here's an ST Micro reference on generating dither: http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/...ical/document/application_note/DM00119042.pdf

In a practical sense, I wondered whether bit banging the control variables in PWM might work:
    upload_2015-4-30_6-52-35.png
    Thus, alternating between different PR2 or CCPxCON<5:4> values might produce cycle-by-cycle dither. One problem is that dither produced like that would be at the same amplitude as the main PWM.

Again, I can't add much, but am certainly interested in the answer.

John

8. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Is dither also a way of reducing EMI, by using a spread spectrum?