Distribution Transformer (Pole Mounted) Wiring

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
I have a question regarding distribution transformer mounted on a pole (neighborhood), how are more than one house wired to a distribution transformer on the pole? Are they all connected to the 3 wire terminals? If not then how? Thanks.

Some details on this would be great. Links are welcome.

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
I don't see how that is correct when a distribution transformer is center tapped for 120/240V. The secondary of these transformers, from what I understand is single phase.

wookx

Joined Apr 20, 2010
One phase from the three phase circuit supplies the Transformers primary. Secondary is center tapped, and about 5 to ten customers paralleled off (yes three wire) per transformer depending on the VA rating.

Last edited:

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
One phase from the three phase circuit supplies the Transformers primary. Secondary is center tapped, and about 5 to ten customers paralleled off (yes three wire) per transformer depending on the VA rating.
That's what I was thinking but can you provide any pictures or links on how they do this paralleling?

wookx

Joined Apr 20, 2010
Nothing special. Just run the three wires down the street and tap off of them at each house.
Look outside......
In an overhead distribution system the HV line is at the very top of the pole, consists of one or more phases/circuits and they are generally bare conductors. This feeds the top of an overhead transformer (with a fuse and load break in-between). The three LV conductors (secondaries) usually come out of the side of the transformer and feed three wires running below the HV line. Below those three wires you got the neutral. anything below those is comm.

Underground systems are no different except you don't need poles.:)

But then again I suppose all this depends on where you live. I'm in Ontario Canada, I believe most of North America operates this way.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Attached is a picture of how the power for my house is taken off from the transformer. I labeled it 220 VAC, but it will really measure at 240 VAC (old habits die hard).

Attachments

Management

Joined Sep 18, 2007
Attached is a picture of how the power for my house is taken off from the transformer. I labeled it 220 VAC, but it will really measure at 240 VAC (old habits die hard).
Thanks for the picture. I only see that your home is connected to the transformer. Are other homes using the same one? If so where does this parallel connection take place.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Thanks for the picture. I only see that your home is connected to the transformer. Are other homes using the same one? If so where does this parallel connection take place.
Sorry; my home's connection just shows the typical connection for one house. More houses would have their wires connected to the same terminals on the transformer (I remember looking at the transformer in the street next to the house I grew up in and seeing such a connection; our three wires came in from across the street with those of other houses and they were connected in parallel).

Unless your neighborhood uses underground wiring, you should be able to take a walk with binoculars and see some good examples.