distance sensors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by samertelawi, Jul 29, 2013.

1. samertelawi

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Dears,
    I am working on a project in which I need to measure the distance between many points and one reference point, so I was thinking and I really want to know is there any sensor that uses transmitter and receiver like ultra sonic using different frequencies to tel the distance between the receiver that is the reference point and the transmitters with referring that there is no sight between the transmitter and receiver.
    so based on the frequency of the received signal the sensor can determine which point is and tell the distance ....
    is something like this available or possible ...
    p.s. the distance is greater then 20 cm and no more 1.2 meter.
    thank you very much.

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    So even though the range is very short, there is some obstruction between the two points you want to measure? That rules out both laser and ultrasound. Could be tough. Can you ever see the nodes from the other nodes? You could position all of them relative to each other if they can "see" their neighbors.

3. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Are all the points on a plane? You may be able to capture images from above the plane, and deduce position from the images.

4. samertelawi

Jul 29, 2013
    thank you for your responses.
    the situation is like that :
    I have a node on the hip of the body and and two nodes on the wrists and when moving the hands I need to know the distance between the node that is on the hip and both wrists.
    when the man move his hands I need to know the current positions of the wrists according to the node that is on the hip or maybe on the back in some where .....
    so there is no line between them ..

5. samertelawi

Jul 29, 2013
    so friends.
    according to this situations do you have other suggestions to figure out the distance of the wrists form the body reference point in time framing ... maybe some other technology. or approach
    thanks

6. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    Is it possible to determine distance using microwaves or would that require equipment more precise than available on the market

samertelawi likes this.
  7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You mean radar? Never heard of it being used over such a short distance.

samertelawi likes this.
  8. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

There where two posts made by the OP "auto-moderated".
    I approved the posts to make them visible.

Bertus

9. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    samertelawi likes this.
  10. samertelawi

Jul 29, 2013
    Dears,
    in ultrasonic sensors, can we separate the transmitter and receiver and is it necessary to install them face to face.
    so it is possible for my question to build some sensor that contains transmitters on the wrists with two different frequencies and one receiver .... to measure the distance ... I think in such case the time stamp should be handled ...
    any suggestions ...