Display of Radar data on a laptop

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Adesoji Aderemi, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Adesoji Aderemi

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Hello gurus,
    Please if I need to display radar data on laptop. How can this be done? Thanks all.

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    What is radar data?
    What does it look like?
    How is the data acquired and transmitted?
    What is the data format?
    How will the data be entered into the PC?
    How do you want the data to appear on the PC?
    What software do you plan on using on the PC?

3. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    And the op already has a similar thread going here.

It is just hard to believe how someone can ask such general questions and expect detailed answers. What are they thinking?

4. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    This can be done in about a million and one ways. Choose what suits you best.

5. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Type in http://flightaware.com/live/ and then enter the flight number.

Real time radar data will quickly appear on the magic screen.

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Or go to the Weather Channel to display radar data from right over your house!

7. Adesoji Aderemi

Oct 27, 2012
    Thanks all, especially for your tolerance. Nevertheless I think I should have used the word radar echoes. So don't be tired of me yet. A radar display system takes the output of the radar receiver (video channel) and displays it on a Plan Position Indicator (PPI) which essentially is a crt with afterglow. So if I want to display such on a computer laptop could anyone give me some hint?

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You could write the flight info on a stickie and paste it on your laptop. I would use different neon colours for different airlines.

9. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    So basically you want to make a progam that draws green points on a screen?

10. Adesoji Aderemi

Oct 27, 2012
    Basically I want to replace the PPI with a laptop if possible. so that the received echoes from the primary radar could be displayed on the laptop monitor instead of the PPI display that came with the radar

11. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Ah, well finally this makes sense. Do you want to plot blips onto a map, for instance like showing a kml file in Google Earth? I've used that to show "live" gps data.

But backing up, you need to interface the radar device output (assuming it has an output?) with a computer. The laptop will need some sort of data acquisition software, to grab and process data from the radar. You're going to need to know a lot more about what sort of signal the radar is producing, so that you can develop a strategy to capture and process it.

12. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    Not knowing what model radar doesnt help. modern types that use LCD screens probably can. There is 2 different types of older Radar first lot of circuits are of a type that uses rotating scan coils around the CRT.

13. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    2nd type uses a rasta type display on a CRT screen as in this older Koden radar.

14. Adesoji Aderemi

Oct 27, 2012
    Many thanks. The radar available to me is an old rotating coil type using intensity modulation to show target presence, range rings, azimuth markers and stuffs like that. A valve technology for that matter.