Dislike sopa

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually, as long as we are discussing a specific piece of legislation I think it isn't quite politics. The moment it drifts off topic or a political party is mentioned it will likely be shut down.

It is a fine line, but people need to know what could be heading their way. This bill is not defeated, it is merely shelved (and can be brought back at a moments notice).

As usual we'll discuss it with the other guys to see what they think. This could be pretty important though.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm wondering if google will go to a black background. They have an "interesting" arrangement with the Fed. Gov (seriously), nothing major, but google can find "red flag" phrases a lot faster than any .gov server can.
check it out now. also check out wikipedia

wikipedia won't even let you read their articles

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Wikipedia will look up your representatives, they should all be contacted
When you think aout it, they are a very powerful site to go through with this.
millions of views every day

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I wish it were true. Like Darth Vader, it is still lurking, waiting. Hollywood wants to get their way and they have the money to make it so.

We are just going to have to see what their next move is.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I wish it were true. Like Darth Vader, it is still lurking, waiting. Hollywood wants to get their way and they have the money to make it so.

We are just going to have to see what their next move is.
I think there's more money in google alone than the movie industry. Throw in yahoo, bing, etc. and I'd say the odds are in the internet's favor.

DustinBox

Joined Jan 18, 2012
Not sure if it's been mentioned but they already shut down megaupload earlier today. I think this is just ridiculous, I consider this to be a form of censorship.

Maybe the Mayan's weren't too far off, perhaps the world as this generation knows it (streaming of videos, downloading, and sharing) is truly coming to a end :O

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
It may be a very long time before the final outcome is known. What I would say though is that most empires have their time of glory, and then decline. Whether or not the motion picture and music industries as we know them have really had it yet I'm not sure, but on the whole I think so.

Partly this is a consequence of changes in technology, but it links up with changes in habits and expectations that have already become quite ingrained. Recent history suggests that this particular genie may be very hard to put back into the bottle.

One aspect of this is that small production outfits seem to be able to produce things that would once have required far more resources, back in the days when amateurs were restricted to very limited recording quality, especially for video. In time, I can see this pulling the rug out from under some of the bigger organisations, try as they might to hold on.

As an example, here is something I saw not long ago on You Tube: I don't know who made it, but clearly it wasn't Warner Brothers. The adolescent content is easy to criticise (the lyrics!!!), though I suspect somebody may have a better chance as a musician that some X-factor hopefuls. Look at the technical quality though, and consider how many people could view it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwp7c0iBi-s

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Not sure if it's been mentioned but they already shut down megaupload earlier today. I think this is just ridiculous, I consider this to be a form of censorship.

Maybe the Mayan's weren't too far off, perhaps the world as this generation knows it (streaming of videos, downloading, and sharing) is truly coming to a end :O
I did notice that. I was wondering what was wrong with the site.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
You forgot an 'i'.

I'm also wondering what their next movie will be.:p
Either a remake of a european or another comic book thing. They are dead because they cannot make anything good anymore.

To revisit the past, censorship surely worked wonders in the soviet union. Everyone owned Beatles albums and could their hands on most banned books. The harder you push people the harder they push back (elementary). I've been sceptical about western culture - the complacency is unbelievable, but I think internet "freedom" might be the soft spot. Wait and see.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Megaupload.com Gets Hit by Mega Piracy Indictment; Hackers Attack Feds

and the fuse is lit. We're about to witness the first online war, or what the government will no doubt refer to as online "acts of terror". Who here thinks that the hackers could not disappear (be detained indefinitely with no charge or trial in a secret location) under the patriot act/NDAA as "terrorists"?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tonyr1084 Feedback and Suggestions 15
N Off-Topic 25
N Off-Topic 0