Dishwasher rewiring

Deal

Joined May 24, 2013
I have a small project idea that I would appreciate some input on.

The background is that I have a dishwasher with a door latch assembly containing two switches breaking both the neutral and hot leads when the latch opens. One of those switches failed and to replace I have to buy a full assembly for over $50 or....

I would like to make use of the single switch that still works to feed a new switch that has two throws. Does this make sense? Can anyone point me at an appropriate switch for this purpose?

Thanks.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You need to know the model of the appliance switch, so to compare it with other switches, OR use just one switch in the Live (Hot) side.

Deal

Joined May 24, 2013

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
hardly seems worth the trouble when the replacement is only $50 and your electrical knowledge is not sufficient to handle the conversion by yourself.. be safe please

Deal

Joined May 24, 2013
The point of asking here is that I am trying to "be safe" My temporary solution is that I removed the one switch and permanently closed the one side. That obviously works but at a risk. I'm trying to tidy up the conversion.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
That looks like a pair of standard Microswitches in a plastic frame. You should be able to source a replacement easily enough by matching the electrical ratings on the switch and matching the actuator (lever, plunger etc).

Mouser, Digikey, Grainger, many hardware stores etc. will have them.

Last edited: