Dishwasher rewiring

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Deal, May 24, 2013.

1. Deal

Thread Starter New Member

May 24, 2013
    I have a small project idea that I would appreciate some input on.

The background is that I have a dishwasher with a door latch assembly containing two switches breaking both the neutral and hot leads when the latch opens. One of those switches failed and to replace I have to buy a full assembly for over $50 or....

I would like to make use of the single switch that still works to feed a new switch that has two throws. Does this make sense? Can anyone point me at an appropriate switch for this purpose?

Thanks.

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    You need to know the model of the appliance switch, so to compare it with other switches, OR use just one switch in the Live (Hot) side.

3. Deal

May 24, 2013
  4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    hardly seems worth the trouble when the replacement is only $50 and your electrical knowledge is not sufficient to handle the conversion by yourself.. be safe please

5. Deal

May 24, 2013
    The point of asking here is that I am trying to "be safe" My temporary solution is that I removed the one switch and permanently closed the one side. That obviously works but at a risk. I'm trying to tidy up the conversion.

6. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    That looks like a pair of standard Microswitches in a plastic frame. You should be able to source a replacement easily enough by matching the electrical ratings on the switch and matching the actuator (lever, plunger etc).

Mouser, Digikey, Grainger, many hardware stores etc. will have them.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  7. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    They are V3 type microswitches plenty on Ebay, or i am sure that you can get them in the USA from your local electronics dealer.

Ebay

Digikey

Last edited: May 24, 2013