Discrete Op-amp - Electronic Kit/DIY

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Robin Mitchell, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin Mitchell

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Discrete Op Amp Kit - Only £1.99

(Made and sold in the UK)

Features
    • Buid your own op amp!
    • Fully working op-amp
    • All discrete parts, no ICs
    • Power from as low as 3V
    • Can be easily used in other projects
    upload_2015-2-3_19-55-2.png

Description

Have you ever used an op-amp and wondered what's in that tiny black box? How does an op-amp work? And could I build one from discrete transistors? Well with this kit you can! Learn how each stage of an op-amp works and then build one! This kit includes everything you need to build a fully functional op-amp that can be used to create the classic arrangements including a unity gain amplifier, non-inverting and inverting amplifiers.

upload_2015-2-3_19-55-2.png

Kit Manual

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Good for beginners! The specs are low enough that they can actually measure most of its limitations.

ErnieM likes this.
  3. Robin Mitchell

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Thanks! The best part about this op amp is that it is so bad its great for teaching!

JohnInTX likes this.
  4. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    I agree with you and #12. A great teaching tool. Your manual describes the operation very well and I would think a few hours poking around the circuit during a lab would be immensely valuable for anyone learning OpAmps. The deficiencies point out the challenges and tradeoffs in OpAmp design. Well done.

Robin Mitchell likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I've been thinking about this for a week...you have not named a high frequency limit and it seems to me that C1 and C2 do the same job. Can you educate me about why C2 needs to be there? Because its effects are not dependent on the gain of Q6?

6. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    On the subject of discrete op amps, I built one in the 1960s before the 709/741 IC versions were available.

It was for a seismograph*** amplifier which had to be able to accept pure DC signals and the schematic and instructions were published in Radio-Electronics Magazine. I recall some of the transistors were somewhat sensitive to exposure to light. In the late 50's, Scientific American also had a schematic for an op amp using vacuum tubes.

*** That's what you see on my avatar which shows Charles Richter posing behind a seismograph recorder at Caltech in Pasadena.

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    My one and only course in electronics was taught by William ("Wild Bill") McElroy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_D._McElroy ). We built that circuit! We celebrate our 50th reunion in April. My, how time flies.

John

Robin Mitchell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.