Discrete H-bridge with relays and MOSFETs

lastRites

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Hello from India :D
I am designing a cheap motor controller for robots (we usually use DPDT switches and wires:p). My main concerns are cost and reliability. So I have chosen the components accordingly. I plan to get the h-bridge under 4$ for a 10A(stall) motor.
I am attaching the schematic and would be very grateful if you guys help me improving it and pointing out faults, if any.

Attachments

Last edited:

lastRites

Joined Jul 9, 2011
This circuit uses 2 IRFZ44N MOSFETs(50V, 49A, RdsOn:17.5 mohm) in parallel to control the speed using 500Hz PWM. The SPDT relays K1 and K2 (G5LE) are rated 10A at 28V and are used to switch the direction of rotation. What will the MAX current this circuit can handle at 12V?

I have done one circuit on a perfboard with a single MOSFET with a heatsink and it gets a bit warm(the MOSFET, about 40C) at 5A continuous (a rc car motor at stall).

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think when you parallel MOSFETs you usually want a small resistance between the gates, say a 50Ω resistor, to damp any ringing when they are switched.

Using R1 at 1kΩ as the source of gate current also concerns me. That's causes a slow turn on and potential heat issue. Maybe it's no concern at 500Hz, but it's kind of bad form. You could reduce R1 and R4 by 2X or more to address this. You just need to limit current thru T1 to stay well within its specs.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
+1

What is the source and the ON voltage of your PWM control signal?
It would be easier on the relay contacts if you could make sure that the PWM is momentarily off during relay switching.
Many of the relays available today are, I believe, rather optimistic regarding their current ratings.

Last edited:

lastRites

Joined Jul 9, 2011
+1

What is the source and the ON voltage of your PWM control signal?

Many of the relays available today are, I believe, rather optimistic regarding their current ratings.
What is the "ON voltage of of PWM" ? I am using a 12V battery to power the circuit. Would it be safe to assume that these relays will be able to handle a motor which takes about 10A at stall at 12V?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
The only diode I see that kind of looks like a flyback diode is the one connected between ground and Vss. I don't see that one doing much, but if it were on the other side of the FETs it would look more like a flyback diode.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Must be a very small heat sink. 5^2 X .0175 = .4375 watts X 62 degrees C / watt (no heat sink) + 25C room temperature is only 52C. So maybe all is well if it is a tiny heat sink.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
You can calculate the temperature knowing the current and the on resistance and the thermal response of the FET. Based on the 5 amps you talk about yours would be about 50C without a heat sink. So if you have a small heat sink 40C might be expected and should be okay..