Discharging a Li-ion camcorder Battery

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Matthew Phillips, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Matthew Phillips

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Hi guys, this is going to sound stupid but i have a 7.2v camera battery i would like to discharge before i dispose of it, now i don't have much in the way of equipment but i have a Analogue multimeter for testing the voltage. i have got these to discharge it: a 12v fan and a 12v car radio attached to it but it wont discharge even a little. Its been on for at least 30 minutes. Can someone recommend a faster discharge method. (THE METHODS MUST BE SAFE)
  2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Car headlight bulb? Electric kettle?
  3. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    If it is a battery pack, there is control electronics inside to prevent you from discharging it too far because Li batteries can catch fire from that. The electronics open a FET switch when the battery voltage drops to a pre set point. You should never try to discharge an Li battery to zero.
  4. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    The other option is to recycle it - Staples stores have recycle boxes if you are in the US.
  5. trader007

Feb 27, 2010

not all battery packs have chips in them though..

I would just recycle the battery pack. Well I mean I would put it on a grill and shoot it with a nailgun to watch the fireworks... but that's not safe.