Disaster

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by beenthere, Jan 15, 2008.

1. beenthere

Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I finally gave into the urge to use some of my Nixie tubes and build a clock. That was ok, but I also thought it might be cool to incorporate a couple of my Dekatrons as the seconds indicators.

The tube collections are in a pair of Exide battery jars about 10" X 8" X 24". I pulled down the one jar and set the top on my file folder collection. As I was looking up pinouts, the top slid off and smashed on the floor. The lead data plate gives a date of 1936.

Just to make it feel worse, the Dekatrons are pretty black on top, so they aren't likely to last in use.

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    So sorry to hear of your misfortune.

hgmjr

3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Please forgive my shallowness, but how much is such an item worth today in monetary value? I understand it is probably worth more in sentimental value.

Dave

4. cumesoftware

Apr 27, 2007
    It is really a misfortune, loosing such rare components. It could happen to anyone.

I hope you can find replacement Nixie tubes. Best of luck!

5. beenthere

Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The tubes are fine, but the battery jar lid is a goner. That was one of the big 48 volt batteries that the telephone company used to power phone lines. Even used pitch to seal the lid onto the case. Lost a piece of history.