Disable treadmill speaker

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by roneesh, May 25, 2012.

1. roneesh

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Hey all, I had a few questions on disabling my treadmill speaker. It makes a VERY loud beep many times when pressing buttons or starting to run the treadmill, and I wanted to see if I could disable it.

1. I believe the speaker is the cylindrical circuit element at the bottom left of the picture, labeled BZ1. The sound seems to come from here and it looks like the only speaker candidate. Can anyone please verify? That element just has a + and - connection below.

2. Can anyone recommend a safe gel/paste/material I could just stick in it to block the speaker? My concern is using something that's safe for the circuit. This would be an easy mechanical solution.

3. Would it be possible to snip it out and just replace it with an element that has similar resistance and wattage rating? Is that not possible for these factory produced boards? Am I correct in thinking that if I cut it out, it has to be replaced with something of similar resistance and wattage rating?

Any help or feedback appreciated!

2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    Yup, that's a buzzer.
    That might be the simplest solution. I'd look for a piece of foam or such, something non-conducting. It could be that just covering that center hole might make quite a reduction.

Do you have some resistors on hand to play with? I'm thinking that adding a resistor in series with the buzzer will greatly quiet it. Something around 100Ω or less would be a place to start. To accomplish this, though, you'll need to desolder the buzzer from the board. Don't do it if you're not comfortable with that.
  3. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Most likely, you can remove it from the circuit without affecting any of the circuit's other functions. But if I were to remove it, I would carefully unsolder it so that I could put it back if it turned out that removing it caused a problem.

You could just put a piece of tape over the hole to quite it down a little.

Nov 30, 2010
    Somebody else had a problem with snipping it out because the circuit used it for a feedback loop. Most circuits don't. Personally, I stuff electricians putty in the hole, but Play-Dough or plumbers putty would work.
  5. KL7AJ

Nov 4, 2008
    A .22 did it for me. :)
  6. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    You mean a 0.22Ω resistor? Oh, ha ha, you meant 0.22 caliber !! :eek: I'm more of a 12 gauge guy.
    Last edited: May 26, 2012