Disable beep in electric fireplace

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by splinkyhead, Nov 25, 2009.

  1. splinkyhead

    Thread Starter New Member

    Nov 25, 2009
    3
    0
    Hi All

    First time poster and total circuit noob here so please be gentle.

    I recently bought an electric fireplace for the house and am very happy with it except for one thing - each time a button is pressed to change a setting or turn the device on or off, there is an extremely LOUD beep. This is very annoying when you set it to auto shut-off 1hr after you start it because you plan to drift off to sleep as the flames dance you into drowsiness. Next thing you know BEEEEEEEEEEEP!@#!@$ wakes you from your sleep and now you know the fireplace is off. Obviously not the ideal situation.

    At first I thought I might be able to muffle the speaker with some tape but after opening it up I decided I needed some expert help (ie. you guys) because it was pretty much just a circuit board and wires.

    So what I am hoping to achieve is to either: completely disable the beep altogether, or tweak the beep to be approx. 20% quieter (seriously it is loud enough to wake the everyone in the house - quiet (pun) ridiculous really).

    I have attached three photos - one of the overall fireplace, one of the circuit board, and one of the circuit board map kindly provided on a sticker on the fireplace.

    Please let me know how/what I am able to do considering I am a complete and utter noob with very few tools.

    Cheers

    Paul
     
  2. mik3

    Senior Member

    Feb 4, 2008
    4,846
    63
    The buzzer the the black cylinder which has KC-1206 written on its top. If you remove it then the problem is solved. However, be careful not to cause a short on the board and it may get destroyed after power on.
     
  3. beenthere

    Retired Moderator

    Apr 20, 2004
    15,815
    282
    If you feel uncomfortable trying to unsolder and remove the piezo speaker, you can drip some super glue into the little sound port and give it time to dry. It will certainly be quieter.
     
  4. SgtWookie

    Expert

    Jul 17, 2007
    22,182
    1,728
    My folks hated the beeper in their microwave, and begged me to disable it.

    I put a sheet metal screw in it, then removed it - silence is golden.

    The microwave finally died several years later, so they got a new one.

    The beep came back. :(

    (I don't recommend you putting a sheet metal screw through yours; you may damage your circuit board).
     
  5. mik3

    Senior Member

    Feb 4, 2008
    4,846
    63
    An easier way to disable the buzzer is to cut the lead of one of the two resistors at the right of the buzzer. I cannot tell which one because I cannot see under the board or the circuit diagram of the board.

    Can you provide it?
     
  6. splinkyhead

    Thread Starter New Member

    Nov 25, 2009
    3
    0
    Wowee what a friendly bunch of chaps you all are!

    I am gonna try the super glue thing suggested by beenthere first. If that makes it quiet enough then I will be happy.

    If it is still too noisy then I will post more pictures of the underside of the board in order to determine which one of the two resistor leads to cut.

    Wifey is sleeping with the fireplace on right now so will have to wait until tomorrow.

    Thanks for all the advice!

    Paul
     
  7. splinkyhead

    Thread Starter New Member

    Nov 25, 2009
    3
    0
    Super glue did the trick - reduced volume by at least half!

    Thanks a lot.

    Paul
     
  8. mik3

    Senior Member

    Feb 4, 2008
    4,846
    63
    If you want the sound to be reduced more come back here. :cool:
     
  9. SgtWookie

    Expert

    Jul 17, 2007
    22,182
    1,728
    I still like my approach the best...

    Sort of like pounding a stake through the heart of a sleep-stealing vampire. ;)
     
Loading...