Directly connecting 12v power supply to light switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by demitchell14, Mar 6, 2015.

1. demitchell14

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I am all about 12v LED lights, and I was wondering if there were any safe ways, to directly connect a 12v power supply, to a light switch for a room. I have been stuck with plugging in a power supply in to a wall socket and having a bunch of random cables hanging around, and was wondering if I could sort of, put a power supply, in the wall itself, and connect it directly to the switch.. is this possible? In my mind it is, but I don't really know how to explain it
  2. blocco a spirale

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 18, 2008
    You have just answered your own question; you require a 12VDC regulated power-supply with enough current to drive your LEDs.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  3. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    Can you list or link to the power supplies and LED lamps that currently have?

4. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    The OP is asking about hacking into the wall, and the existing house wiring, and hiding a AC-line operated to DC power supply inside the wall, and converting the downstream wiring to Low Voltage.

IMHO, the OP is way out of his/her league...

Especially, when you can go to the home center and buy LED lamps that fit into the existing fixtures.
  5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    We don't know in which country you are, but in the UK, at least, your proposal would probably contravene Wiring Regulations.
    All power-supplies generate a certain amount of heat (less with the switch-mode type), so burying the supply in the wall could pose a fire risk.
    ErnieM likes this.
  6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    The proper way to do this is to have one or more of the wall outlets in that room tied to the wall switch. Not sure what country you are from but typically in the US the top outlet of most if not every outlet in the room is tied to the rooms wall switch. You simply plug the AC cord of your 12V DC power supply into one of these outlets.
  7. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Easy to do if you are building a house; much harder if the house is already built...
  8. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  9. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
  10. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    also mentioned 'having a bunch of random cables hanging around' possibly intending on rewiring. using same type of cable is just an accident waiting to happen.

either way, personally opinion if OP not skilled enough to isolate both voltages, then i agree with your statement -

dc lighting here, using 3mm automotive cable (black/red in black sheath) to isolate mains and dc wiring.