directivity of parabolic antenna

muni

Joined Jul 29, 2008
a parabolic dish antenna has a conical beam 2° wide, the directivity of the antenna is approximately
a) 20 dB b) 30 dB c) 40 dB d)50dB

i've read from some net files that directivity =(41253)/(BW theta χ BW phi) but even how does it shall it be in dBs ?
if i'm not right what is the right formula?

Attachments

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
The gain of a parabolic antenna is also dependend on the frequency.

Bertus
NOT true!

The gain of any antenna is solely dependant on beam-width however it is true that beam-width is dependant on frequency but since beam-width is given in this problem frequency plays no part in the calculations.

Take a look at the attached .pdf for a good explanation of antenna gain.

Attachments

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
The gain of any antenna is solely dependant on beam-width
It is not solely dependant. The Directivity depends on the antenna pattern (beamwidth is the angle between the -3dB points). If you assume no losses (100% radiation efficiency) then gain and directivity are interchangeable. But in real life nothing is 100% efficient and so gain < directivity. For a given antenna the directivity is related to the wavelength.

The formulas the OP mentioned are based on antennas that have a major lobe and very small minor lobes where the bulk of the energy is contained within the beamwidths in two perpendicular planes.

AlexR

Joined Jan 16, 2008
It is not solely dependant. The Directivity depends on the antenna pattern (beamwidth is the angle between the -3dB points). If you assume no losses (100% radiation efficiency) then gain and directivity are interchangeable. But in real life nothing is 100% efficient and so gain < directivity. For a given antenna the directivity is related to the wavelength.

The formulas the OP mentioned are based on antennas that have a major lobe and very small minor lobes where the bulk of the energy is contained within the beamwidths in two perpendicular planes.
This is perfectly true. It is also utterly irrelevant in relation to the OP's original question.

The OP is obviously quoting from a test/exam question about an idealised antenna. As no information about sidelobes is given none can be inferred so any discussion about sidelobes and frequency is pointless in relation to the question.

I suppose that one could always say that the answer is the lowest gain (20db) and that any discrepancy between your answer and what the examiner expects is due to power in sidelobes, but I somehow doubt that the examiners would accept your answer.

muni

Joined Jul 29, 2008
Hello,

A lot of information on parabolic antennnas can be found via the EDUCYPEDIA.
http://www.educypedia.be/electronics/antennaparabola.htm

Greetings,
Bertus
sir i've checked this site already. the attachment which i posted is from that site only. it says that directivity = 41253/(beamwidth in theta χ beamwidth in phi).
then i felt somethinf wrong because in the Q it is provided with only beamwidth as 2° and is not mentioned whether it is phi or theta.

muni

Joined Jul 29, 2008
NOT true!

The gain of any antenna is solely dependant on beam-width however it is true that beam-width is dependant on frequency but since beam-width is given in this problem frequency plays no part in the calculations.

Take a look at the attached .pdf for a good explanation of antenna gain.
thank you sir it is really helpfull for me. this notes cleared many of my doubts. it really really good. i got the concept of directivity gain and directivity, efficiency etc.

thank you sir
muni