Diode voltage drop is 70VDC, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aadrik

Joined Dec 15, 2014
So I have been working on electronics for about 8 years now and today I was troubleshooting a rapid charger and I noticed that the diodes that made up the rectifier were all reading 70VDC across them. I have been scratching my head since and can not figure out why this is happening since I have always thought that the voltage across diodes should be about .7 or so. I have included the schematic I was using. I took my voltages across D1 and also D2 - D4 with the same results. Anyone have any idea?

Attachments

JWHassler

Joined Sep 25, 2013
Do you mean D1,-2,-3,-4? If so, they are AC rectifiers, and will be at .7V (forward drop) half the time and some larger voltage ( reverse voltage, a half sine wave) other half of the time. I guess your meter integrates the half sine to 70 volts

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
L1 is not acting as a transformer, but as a common mode choke. Mains connected devices are inherently unsafe and unsuitable for discussion.

Aadrik

Joined Dec 15, 2014
The reverse thing makes since to me but why would i be seeing that all the time instead of it going from .7 to 70VDC? Also I did realize that L1 is a choke and not a transformer however where is the rest of that voltage going across R1?

Aadrik

Joined Dec 15, 2014
Thanks for all the help. Tomorrow I will be using an O-scope on the whole circuit instead of just a multimeter.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Do you have a min/max function on your meter? If so, record for a moment and it should show you the high, the low and the average which is what you are probably seeing as 70V

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
AAC forums will not indulge in discussion of any circuit or activity that has the potential to shock, electrocute, harm or otherwise put lives in danger.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6.Restricted topics.The following topics are regularly raised, are considered “off-topic” at all times and will result in your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
• Automotive modifications
• Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
• LEDs to mains
• Phone jammers
• Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Any discussion of power supplies that are not isolated from AC mains will be terminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.