Diode Question

Phewsion

Joined Sep 24, 2012
Hello All:

I have a 2 battery setup in parallel. I would like to setup Battery1 to start the vehicle and run the vehicles electronics. Battery 2 I would like to be dedicated to electronics I am installing. This being the case I don't want battery 1 to be able to draw power on Battery 2. However I do want the alternator to charge both batteries. I am thinking about using a diode to prevent the back feed of power. Assuming the batteries are Lead Acid, 800-1200 CCA with an Alternator rated between 90 - 200 amps, and the setup will be exposed to temperatures from -50 thru 180 what type/size Diode would be best for this.

Also as this is going to be used industrially I would like a packaged solution to this... unfortunately I haven't had any luck finding one.

I am not an engineer and am just trying to research a resolution to our problem ... Thanks in advance for the help. :)

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
Hello All:

I have a 2 battery setup in parallel. I would like to setup Battery1 to start the vehicle and run the vehicles electronics. Battery 2 I would like to be dedicated to electronics I am installing. This being the case I don't want battery 1 to be able to draw power on Battery 2. However I do want the alternator to charge both batteries. I am thinking about using a diode to prevent the back feed of power. Assuming the batteries are Lead Acid, 800-1200 CCA with an Alternator rated between 90 - 200 amps, and the setup will be exposed to temperatures from -50 thru 180 what type/size Diode would be best for this.

Also as this is going to be used industrially I would like a packaged solution to this... unfortunately I haven't had any luck finding one.

I am not an engineer and am just trying to research a resolution to our problem ... Thanks in advance for the help. :)
Diodes are a pain in the ass as they drop about 0.7V and cause more charging system problems than they cure. GOOGLE "split charge relay"