Diode Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekidinbuff

Joined Jul 16, 2013
Hello, to make this short, i had remote start for my car till one day when i shut it off and it shorted out i guess and all it wants to do when its hooked up is turn my starter over.. Ive gone through just about everything and there are two diodes, one a zener and one a 1n4007 diode. Before i un-sodered the 4007, i tested it and it had .162 each way and 0 resistance both ways. Thought that was my problem so i took it off and now it shows OL for reverse bias, which is good. I put a new 4007 in its place anyway, and now that one shows 0 resistance each way.. Im so lost. :confused: Are they good then? They do it without the main chip in too.. Only tries to start the car when i hook the 12V to the remote start module

Anything will help!
Thank you!
TheKidInBuff

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If you are testing with the resistance scale, you will not get a correct reading with a semiconductor, you need to use the diode scale if you have one.
The diode scale should show a value that represents the voltage drop in the forward direction and open circuit in the reverse.
Depending on the circuit, it will not confirm any true value in circuit.
Max.

thekidinbuff

Joined Jul 16, 2013
No i use the continuity/diode option and get 162 on the meter and if i turn the dial and set it on 20M resistance, it shows 0 ohms each way when the diode is on the board. but when it is not, it shows 0 in forward bias and OL in reverse

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is most likely something on the board affecting the reading, this is the down side to measuring any component in circuit.
Max.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
thde diode is priobably across a relay coil to supress counter emf. check the diode with one lead unhooked, if it checks ok, check what ever the diode is across.
cliff

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.