Dinosaur Footprint...!!.....??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dthx, Jun 11, 2013.

1. dthx

Thread Starter Member

May 2, 2013
    The Sabine River ,,,(the boundry between Texas and Louisiana in the USA) was "dammed up" to create The Toledo Bend Reservoir...so named because of the old Spanish town that was called Toledo near the bend in the river where the dam is now...Its a big lake....I think the 10th largest man -made lake in the USA.
    Anyway....ONe time when the water level was low in the Summer...down by the dam you could walk out on the bedrock ....its about 80 ft. or so below grade...
    Several years ago, I was down there exploring around....looking for arrowheads and fossils and such and I discovered what I think is a couple of dinosaur footprints in the bedrock....there are more than one but this is the best picture....
    Problem is....These things could be anything....finding a footprint is rare and I havent had the time to take the pic to a pro....
    The water level hasnt been that low again and the bedrock is now under 12ft. to 20 ft of water.....
    Here is the pic.....what do all of you think ..?

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      316.7 KB
      Views:
  2. LDC3

Apr 27, 2013
    I would need a plausible explanation of why a section of the foot didn't leave an imprint before I would say it was a footprint.

3. dthx

Thread Starter Member

May 2, 2013
    Ok....
    Well ....one day a long, long, time ago...this dinosaur was walking to the river to get a drink....The path he was on was muddy...
    All of a sudden ...he tripped on a big vine lying across the path.....it knocked him off balance a little bit...but luckily he regained his balance and made it to the river without falling...
    Is that what you mean?

4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    It's not at all unusual to find footprint where the animal was walking on it's toes. Sometimes a running animal will leave such a footprint.

5. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    First of all, the world we live in a very different to that 65million + years ago. Just because the river is there today, doesn't mean it was there for a dinosaur to drink from.

However, Brownout is right. There are several cases of dinosaurs footprints where it seems only the toes were used.

I remember reading in The Times that some scientists believe it could be caused by dinosaurs "swimming" in shallow water. If you imagine standing in a pool with the water right up to your neck, and you try walking, it is much easier to bounce only bottom. The water supports your weight, so all you need to propel yourself is to bounce on your toes.

I think the example used in the paper was a bunch of footprints found in Australia. For years the area was marketed as where there was a massive stampede of dinosaurs. However, the "swimming" idea accounts for the larger distance between the prints and the way that the toes are only present.

Sparky

6. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  7. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Dthx, did you find any purple fuzz near the tracks? Maybe it was Barney? :)

Never found any tracks, but when a teenager, we would go to a certain area of the local reservoir when it was low, and split apart shale to find fossils. Found mostly leaves and Trilobites.

Then in my twenties changed to looking for arrowheads. But then life got in the way.

8. dthx

Thread Starter Member

May 2, 2013
    I would love to do that ....seen em at the rock show...but I dont know exactly where one would go...and be able to take fossils .....Im sure there is open land somewhere in the USA where that is still possible....some slate deposit somewhere...
    When my daughter was about 10....we took a road trip to Jet, Oklahoma....there is a State Park there that has a huge salt flat ...remnant of a prehistoric salt lake....
    Long strory short...about a foot under the surface are selenite crystals that have grown in large clumps....you can bring your shovel and dig for em....some are museum quality...
    Really some great quality time with my daughter.....Those were the salad days....

shortbus likes this.