DIN Rail Basics - Info Requested

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
Hi All,

We are designing an AC distribution rack mount unit at work and none of us have ever specified components for a DIN rail system.

We basically need to fan-out our AC to multiple IEC inlets and outlets, as well as breaker switches.

The only thing i have come across for design rules is to only have 2 wires coming out of a terminal block like this:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=277-1499-ND

so basically that means between each component pair i need a pair of terminal blocks to fan-out my AC connection?

that seems pricey, but if thats how its done, thats what i'll do.

are there any terminal blocks that fan out 1 to 3 or more than sit on DIN rail channels?

thanks for any help anyone can offer

links to reading about DIN rail stuff are welcome as well

-Dan

kingdano

Joined Apr 14, 2010
Thanks Bertus,

I also saw that on Google, but unforunately i am looking for a bit more detail as far as fan-out methods and little DIN rail gizmos and gadgets to connect multiple units together.

-Dan

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Power entering the enclosure should terminate on a distribution terminal;
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Power_Products_(Electrical)/Power_Distribution_Blocks;jsessionid=5e30c75e28f5b87c04b33a465e4c4eb276f6?source=google&keyword=distribution%20terminal%20block&type=search&gclid=CPzMsN3z06gCFRRigwod_SUG_A

From there, your seperate legs are hardwired to thier respective overcurrent devices (breakers/fuses).

All other wire entering or leaving the enclosure should terminate on the terminal strips. It is not common to use terminal strips for wiring within the panel, as this would be hardwired to your devices.

Terminals that are common can be 'bridged' with interconnectors. An example would be a neutral where any number of terminals can be ganged with the bridge.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Din rail terminal strips can be had for much cheaper than what you linked. Check newark.com and sort by price. Last month I bought a box of 200 of them for like 38$ (if memory serves) - but remember, you get what you pay for. Don't forget to buy the endstops too, or your terminals will move all over (they can slide on the rail).