Dimming the LEd Panel Lights

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by NeerajArora, Aug 24, 2013.

1. NeerajArora

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Hi All,

I am trying to build a remote control, the receiver section of which will interface with the LED driver providing a constant current supply, the remote circuitry has to provide ON/OFF, as well as it should be controlling the brightness of the Panel.

While exploring the net I came across Analog and PWM dimming, so what should be the suggestive measures if I need to control the whole operation using Remote, Any schematic in this regard will be quite helpful.

FYI, The Panel that I need to control has the following specs: 24V, 1.5A, 37W.

Thanks in Advance

2. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    as a start you can use an LM317T with some additional electronics to control the reg as regards voltage

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    This is weakly defined. It's like saying I want a whistle to control my dog. Control what about the dog? His direction? His speed? Whether he is going to sit down?

What do you want the LEDs to do, exactly? Dim in a continuous analog fashion? Dim in only a hundred steps of relative brightness? Do the LEDs use up all of the 1.5 amps?

4. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    And what type of remote control are you thinking of ?

IR, Radio, MCU/PC, Audio controlled ?

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    +1
    Your LED driver may or may not support dimming by a control signal. It's obviously much easier if it does. In fact I'd simply probably replace one that does not, to make this project easier.

6. NeerajArora

Aug 24, 2013
    Sorry for being so Specific,
    The dimming should be in steps like pressing a switch of "IR Remote" will switch the LEd's to 20% of it's brightness, then pressing it again should make it 40% and so on, and the other switch should control the brightness in the reverse order.
    Yes the Panel consume a total of 1.5A.

7. NeerajArora

Aug 24, 2013
    Initially I too was thinking of controlling the brightness using the dim option that is available in most of the Drivers, by passing a PWM signal, but the driver's with dimming capability will probably cost a fraction higher than those which do not have the dimming functionality inbuilt.

What can be the possible measures for controlling the brightness without the dimming functionality of the drivers.

Thanks

8. LDC3

Apr 27, 2013
    No, being specific is good. Not having enough information is what we are dealing with.

9. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Any solution you create yourself will cost more than the incremental cost of the dimming feature in the commercial units. I don't understand why you want to spend more money and engage yourself in a project.

If it's for fun, that's totally fine but that's a different goal than just solving the problem. Your goals may affect the solutions offered by the friendly folks here.