Dimming Solution for Miniature Theater Lighting

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
I think the OP has decided to use DC, and I will be watching for anyone to post a vendor of 16 volt incandescent PWM modules.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Thank you so much for the time and effort on your posts and the schematic. I am not sure my client is willing to pony up the cash, nor me the time for this modification. It might be over my head as I do not have a way to make boards and such. Does anyone know of a decent PWM "module" that anyone puts out? At least so I have options to provide the client. I had fun machining and planning the lightsticks, but electronics and cicuitry have always been hard for me and I do not enjoy it nearly as much.

Thanks again all.
Here you go; PWM modules rated for 15A each, only $20 apiece.
http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/MX033

Just connect them up. Of course, you'll need six of them.

Scooter80

Joined Apr 24, 2010
I was thinking, "They say 12 volts and 24 volts. Can you show me how to make them work with 16 volts?"
Ooops, sorry. I guess I forgot to bow down to Bychon's clearly superior knowledge before posting for assistance. Here, I thought maybe this forum was different than others on the 'net where you are always judged by those who ARE more knowledgeable. Nope, just more of the same inferior "human beings" who just might have superior knowledge. And who jump to conclusions that may not always be true (assuming I was implying 16vdc would be brighter than 16vac, instead of asking a question where I might not have been clear on my original post). Sorry for asking for help.

Quoting a certain helpful member's signature: "General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input."
Maybe members solicit your assistance privately in order to avoid ridicule as they are no longer in grammar school and there's no need to endure it.

I'll stop posting noob questions on this elitist board. Thanks for the help I did receive though.

Silly me, I thought that the above in bold might be true. Maybe it is for the Sgt., but I guess there's always that guy. So, thank you Bychon for being THAT guy!

Last edited:

Scooter80

Joined Apr 24, 2010
And if you did, do you feel better about yourself? I'll give it to ya'! You got me. I'm an idiot. Congrats. Have a great life being the curmudgeon.

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
Speaking as the person who guessed at an impractical solution in the first place, I would guess the next question is the same as mine. I am curious about using these modules at 25% or more off their voltage specs. They don't use a 555 chip, so symmetry might be an issue. I wonder if Wookie has ever used these particular modules. Maybe they come with an instruction sheet explaining 1) Anything between 12 and 24 is enough, so it gets connected as 24V, or 2) 16 volts is entirely within the range of a 12 volt battery under charge conditions, so use the 12V connection, or connecting 16V as 24V will cause weak gate drive on the MOSFET, so use the 12V connection.

I'll check back after I clean up the iced tea.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hey, Scooter80,

Please don't take it personal. It wasn't a comment on your abilities, or the possible lack of them. It was a commentary on the reality of the regular members; the kinds of questions we get day in, day out.

Bychron was just trying to provide a bit of comic relief.

We're really a pretty good bunch around here - but we are all individuals as well, with distinct personalities. It's also very easy to misinterpret the meaning of what someone might have written; try to not take things too literally. Ask for clarification if something doesn't seem quite right.

Which also includes the link to the PWM module I posted. It does state for either 12v or 24v operation - and it doesn't specifically say a range of 12v to 24v operation. Depending on how it was designed, it just might not work so great on 16v - I don't know offhand. I'd need to see the schematic.

Ooops, sorry. I guess I forgot to bow down to Bychon's clearly superior knowledge before posting for assistance. Here, I thought maybe this forum was different than others on the 'net where you are always judged by those who ARE more knowledgeable. Nope, just more of the same inferior "human beings" who just might have superior knowledge. And who jump to conclusions that may not always be true (assuming I was implying 16vdc would be brighter than 16vac, instead of asking a question where I might not have been clear on my original post). Sorry for asking for help.

Quoting a certain helpful member's signature: "General info:
If you have a question, please start a thread/topic. I do not provide gratis assistance via PM nor E-mail, as that would violate the intent of this Board, which is sharing knowledge ... and deprives you of other knowledgeable input."
Maybe members solicit your assistance privately in order to avoid ridicule as they are no longer in grammar school and there's no need to endure it.

I'll stop posting noob questions on this elitist board. Thanks for the help I did receive though.

Silly me, I thought that the above in bold might be true. Maybe it is for the Sgt., but I guess there's always that guy. So, thank you Bychon for being THAT guy!