Dimmer

Turing

Joined May 14, 2013
I'm trying a lighting project and have the requirements of adding a dimmer. I only have 6V for the entire circuit, so I set up the separate circuit components in a parallel format to maintain the voltage. I'm thinking about using LED's for the majority of the lighting, but I'm stuck at the dimmer. Is there a way that I can get dimming LED's or use a simple low-voltage lamp in place of it?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You can use pulse width modulation to dim LEDs. Change the duty cycle to change apparent brightness. Pwm frequency of 100 tp 400 hz usually works well. Look on a DATASHEET of 555 timer for a Pwm circuit.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
If you can control the amount of current flowing through the LEDs, then you can control the brightness of the LEDs.

edwardholmes91

Joined Feb 25, 2013
There is a good circuit on this website which shows how you can use a 555 timer as a PWM. Basically you are turning the LEDs on and off very fast. By changing the duty cycle (percentage on time) you can change the effective brightness of the LEDs. The variable resistor allows you to alter the duty cycle of the 555 timer.