Digital Volume Control 5V with DS1802

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by BrownSubmarine, Aug 19, 2014.

1. BrownSubmarine

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 19, 2014
    I am wanting to make a Digital volume control that does not require amplification. I basically want to use it with 3.5mm audio jack in, and 3.5mm audio jack out, with the ability to fade the volume down via digital push button until no audio can pass through, and then obviously have the ability to fade the volume back up again via another digital push button.
    The simplest thing I have found so far is to use a DS1802 potentiometer but am unsure of a couple of parts used in the image circled (apart from the 5v regulator.

http://imgur.com/2QamIjK

http://electrodb.ro/forum/atelier-gr...1802-thread23/

Also If anybody knows of a simpler/cheaper way to make a digital button volume control i would love to hear it.

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    That appears to be a good part to use as a audio level control. What are you unsure of in the image?

BrownSubmarine likes this.
  3. BrownSubmarine

Aug 19, 2014
    I am unsure what type of capacator is used and also the type of 3 pin TO92. their website has a diagram but I'm not too sure how to figure out those two parts that are required?

4. BrownSubmarine

Aug 19, 2014
    it appears to me that parts on board consist of:
    1 x DS1802
    1 x Molex
    1 x 5V Regulator
    2 x 3.5mm jacks
    1 x TO92 ?
    1 x Capacitor ?

5. josip

Mar 6, 2014
    No, this is wrong implementation for sure. DS1802 is great part, and Pedja Rogic presented long time ago right implementation, but pages are not alive, so here is his complete text with schematics.

6. BrownSubmarine

Aug 19, 2014
    Thank you for your assistance.
    I thought the DS1802 would only accept 3V to 5V supply, but this shows 15V input unless I have misread something?
    If it is 15V What type of 1.5K resistor should I be using and what ?V 100u capacitors should I be using?
    I was hoping to use a 5V power input such as, from a usb plug.
    I am New to electronics but am trying to learn and understand. I have don'e some research since your post but have currently hit a wall as far as my understanding is concerned.

7. josip

Mar 6, 2014
    And I was thinking that text with schematic is totally clear without any doubts. :D

DS1802 can work on 5V, but you can push it higher if you have cliping problem. If I remember right, in datasheet there is defined 5.5 V as max. I was running my on 6V, but it is up to you, break the chip I don't care.

Pedja Rogic used most elegant way to have right supply and untouched audio signal. He used TL431 as 2.5V regulator, two of them for total of 5V. Supply voltage (15V at TL431 input) can be much lower, 3V will be just fine, and resistor value is related to this voltage and DS1802 current.

If you want to build the toy, there is no problem with using 5V USB suplly, and use DS1802 powered by 5V with destroyed audio signal. If you want real staff, than use Pedja Rogic solution, and for 2 x 3V for supply can be used almost any dumped mobile phone charger (better with real transformer not switch).

8. BrownSubmarine

Aug 19, 2014
    Ah. Thank you very much. This clears things up for me and gives me a better understanding of the schematic. Much appreciated. ☺

9. BrownSubmarine

Aug 19, 2014
    can you buy +/-15v power adapters or do I have to make one for this?

10. josip

Mar 6, 2014
    As I already mention in last post, you don't need +/-15 V. Pedja Rogic chose this value because it can be found inside most hi-fi devices, so extra supply is not needed.

You can use anything higher than 3V. For example 2 x 5 V will be just fine. You can find on trash or as second hand (free) all kind of low voltage transformers (3V - 6V) that are used for cell phones, hair trimmers...