Digital Voltmeter Module

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Cerkit, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Cerkit

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Does anyone know where I can get schematics to build a digital voltmeter module. Is it better to buy one??

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    It is better to buy one. There are cheap ones if are an amateur in electronics and don't want to spend much. Try to find some in ebay.

3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Or just look for a digital panel meter. You can find them under $40.

4. Cerkit

Jan 4, 2009
    Do you think I would be able to connect to the digital voltmeter module signals and use them to store the voltage values into a buffer??
    I mean to save me time from setting up the sampling circuit myself.

5. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    I don't think you can do it practically because the PCB inside a multimeter is ver compact. What exactly you want to do?

6. Cerkit

Jan 4, 2009
    The voltmeter readings will be used by software to do calculations for circuit analysis. So I thought it would be convenient to get a voltmeter and interface its signals to my software rather than build a circuit to sample the values.

7. Alberto

Nov 7, 2008
  8. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    If you can make soldering on the LCD inputs of the multimeter then you can do it but I don't think its practical.
    Also, there are some multimeters with PC interface (like this http://www.apogeekits.com/multimeter_dvm345di.htm) but I don't know how you can read the values from their software.

9. Cerkit

Jan 4, 2009
    Ok. If I just want to make a circuit which can measure dc voltage and present the value on a signal how would I do it?

10. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Use an analog to digital converter IC and take its digital output to drive a display (seven segment or LCD) to view the result (measured voltage). If you want you can send this digital signal to a PC for processing etc.

11. jj_alukkas

Jan 8, 2009