Digital Voltage Detector

Digvesh solanki

Joined Mar 23, 2010
Dear all,
i have recently seen some Digital voltage detectors ranges from 1KV to 765KV with 7 Segment display for voltage indication purpose.this testers are operated by single 9 VDC general purpose battery.
this are contact type voltage detectors so person has to to touch the electrode mounted on top of voltage detectors to a phase which he wants to check or measure the voltage level.
please note that this type of voltage detectors using a single wire method only. so i want to know which methods are using in this type of tester for indicating voltage range form 1KV to 765KV.
if anyone knows then please help me with circuit diagram for better understanding.
i read from internet that. floating ground concept is useful for me to display KV range on & segment display.
can anybody having idea regarding this concept how it works. if anyone having circuit diagram for same then please send me.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If someone offered to sell me one, I would not send any money until I saw it demonstrated, especially the part where they touch it to 765KV. I would be sure to stand a long way away...

Last edited:

Digvesh solanki

Joined Mar 23, 2010
If someone offered to sell me one, I would not send any money until I saw it demonstrated, especially the part where they touch it to 765KV. I would be sure to stand a long way away...
Dear Mike,
this type of products are available in market. we also using these products but we havn't seen with digital display. you can watch the video of similar product from following website.

http://www.hdelectriccompany.com/hd-electric-products/etm/digital-voltage-indicators/DVI-500.htm

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Ok, then, since I dont own a hot stick or other safety equipment, I still would want to see a demonstration of how to install it...

Wouldn't the meter be using a high input-impedance, differential measurement between two points in the e-field around the hv conductor; one on the conductor itself, and the other some small distance from the conductor, where the potential gradient in the e-field orthogonal to the conductor causes the voltage to be different?

Digvesh solanki

Joined Mar 23, 2010
Ok, then, since I dont own a hot stick or other safety equipment, I still would want to see a demonstration of how to install it...

Wouldn't the meter be using a high input-impedance, differential measurement between two points in the e-field around the hv conductor; one on the conductor itself, and the other some small distance from the conductor, where the potential gradient in the e-field orthogonal to the conductor causes the voltage to be different?
thank you mike,
can you explain me more deeply or with the help of circuit diagram.
or any application note on same topic